cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email

Cathal1
Joining in

I an only receive emails on my virgin email address on Mail but can not send them on my email address I sign in to my virgin email and is says account not available 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cathal1 

A couple of questions to help trouble shoot what's going on with your VM email account:

"I an only receive emails on my virgin email address on Mail but can not send them on my email address"

There could be a few different reasons for that so does Mail come up with any error messages as to why it cannot send emails? 

"I sign in to my virgin email and is says account not available"

Again there could be a number of reasons for that but to remove the obvious one, can you just confirm that you are still a VM broadband customer? I see that you posted on this forum last year about your VM contract so I assume you were a customer at that point.

The answers to those questions will help to identify the action needed to resolve the problems with your email account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cathal1 

A couple of questions to help trouble shoot what's going on with your VM email account:

"I an only receive emails on my virgin email address on Mail but can not send them on my email address"

There could be a few different reasons for that so does Mail come up with any error messages as to why it cannot send emails? 

"I sign in to my virgin email and is says account not available"

Again there could be a number of reasons for that but to remove the obvious one, can you just confirm that you are still a VM broadband customer? I see that you posted on this forum last year about your VM contract so I assume you were a customer at that point.

The answers to those questions will help to identify the action needed to resolve the problems with your email account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Yes I am still a virgin media customer but my husband is the main account holder

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cathal1 wrote:

Yes I am still a virgin media customer but my husband is the main account holder

Thank you for confirming that.

What about the other question I asked:

There could be a few different reasons for that so does Mail come up with any error messages as to why it cannot send emails

The answer to that would be really helpful because it might throw some light on how to solve the problem

Coenoby

Spoke to someone at Virgin and after they told me to do this and that I know have no email account at all related to my virgin media email just an icloud email address I know how to add an account in mail settings but every password I generate does not work lost the will to live and yes there are some error messages mainly saying can not connect to my email address and the virgin media server.

I just need to know how to set a new email account up with my Virgin Media email address how I get a password for it then it is telling me I have got to use a third party email client log in then use the password to unlock my email address on the mail app no idea if I am right about this fingers crossed you might know what I mean.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cathal1 wrote:

fingers crossed you might know what I mean.

I must admit that I don't have a clear idea but I'll try to help.

"Spoke to someone at Virgin and after they told me to do this and that I know have no email account at all related to my virgin media email just an icloud email address"

It sounds as if the icloud address   has been set as the username for your VM email account. I hope that is your icloud account by the way since that is the email address will use to send you verification emails when you reset your VM passwords.

What makes you think you no longer have a VM email account?

I am sure that you VM email account still exists but it means that when you sign into your VM webmail account or your My Virgin Media account you need to enter the icloud address together with the password for you VM account. That will take you to the VM webmail account  or My Virgin Media account for your VM email account,

However, you don't need to use the icloud address in the email settings in your Mail app. As before, your VM email address will still be the Username in the settings of yourt Mail ap. However there is one change with the password settings.

Did the VM support staff mention about the need for a mail app password?

That's something VM introduced a few months ago to beef up the security on VM email accounts when you use an email client or app. The mail app password has to be used in the settings of email clients instead of the one you use for VM webmail.

To generate a mail app password:

• sign into the My Virgin Media account for this email account
  • go to Account settings
  • then go to Account details
  • then scroll all the way down to Virgin Media Mail and you will see Mailbox App password management
  • Then click on Manage  to the right of Manage your Virgin Media Mail App Password

That will generate a unique password which you will have to use to replace the current password for that email account in the settings of your apps and clients.

I'm sorry, don't know whether that helps you a=or confuses you even more.

Coenoby

It does not help a little I have gone and generated a new password but I open yahoo and not sure which email address I put in or password just kicks me out and on my iPad if I go to mail then accounts it only shows my iCloud email and not my virgin email I have tried to add it but that to rejects the password not sure which password I need to be putting in on both mail and yahoo

I just need to know in plain English how I update my virgin email address to a non virgin one so I can verify it then I can click next and virgin will email a 6 digit one time passcode then it’s click generate and I will be given a new password and I have to keep the password to use 3rd party email clients.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cathal1 wrote:

"I open yahoo and not sure which email address I put in or password just kicks me out"

Sorry, I am confused by that statement. Where does Yahoo come into the picture?

Up to now you have only mentioned your VM email aacount, your Mail app and the iCloud email account. Do you also use the Yahoo app to access your VM emails?  It's not a problem if you do, it's the same basic setup for both apps - see 1) and 2) below.

"on my iPad if I go to mail then accounts it only shows my iCloud email and not my virgin email I have tried to add it but that to rejects the password not sure which password I need to be putting in on both mail and yahoo"

If by "mail" you mean the Mail email app then did you delete your VM email account from the app? Resetting the password and assigning an icloud email account to your VM account would not have removed any email apps such as Mail or Yahoo.

If you do need to add your VM email account back into the Mail app you need to

1. enter your VM email address (so not your icloud or Yahoo addresses) into the username field in the app settings
  2. and the VM mail app password into the password field in the app settings - that password is usually in the format of four words separated by hyphens, so for example "video-post-mossy-sharp"

If you also use the Yahoo mail app and you want to add your VM email to it then you will need to follow the same steps in the settings for that app. The same mail app password will apply to both apps.

Coenoby

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry I posted the previous post as you were posting yours.

If you just need to generate a Mail app password and specify a non VM email address then:

1. Sign into the My Virgin Media account using this link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media 
  2. go to Account settings
  3. then go to Account details
  4. then scroll all the way down to Virgin Media Mail and you will see Mailbox App password management
  5. Then click on Manage  to the right of Manage your Virgin Media Mail App Password

And then follow the instructions which will take you through the process.

Coenoby