cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android phone not syncing vm email

beegeebee
Tuning in

My android phone has stopped syncing email on my virgin media email accounts since yesterday morning. I can see all my new virgin media emails on my laptop using thunderbird. I had the same problem recently following the email debacle at the end of June when the phone would not see any emails on my virgin media email accounts. Again it is working with Gmail accounts. 

12 REPLIES 12

beegeebee
Tuning in

More info: my wife tells me she has been having the same problem with her samsung a52 but suddenly updated in the past hour. She tells me this went on for the past week but she could get all her emails on her samsung tablet. Hers is an old virgin.net address.

On my android phone (sony xperia) I can send emails from virgin media accounts but imap received emails are not appearing on my client for virgin media accounts. No problems with Gmail accounts. Maybe this is a hint to ditch virgin media entirely, broadband as well. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there beegeebee,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the email issues.

So this is also confirmed can you attempt the following steps;

Generate a new E-mail App Password
- Sign in to My Virgin Media 
- Go to Account settings, then Account details 
- Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail 
Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password 
Continue and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked 
Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password.

Regards,

Kain

I and my wife have exactly the same problems on our android phones. Both are redmi phones but different models. I have tried the new generated app passwords on each account but we still cannot receive any emails. The emails are present when logged into web app and on our PCs (Outlook)

Any more ideas? I'm banging my head against a brick wall!

Thanks

Hey @seayjay1958, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with receiving emails on your Redmi phone.
Do you get an error message when trying to send / receive an email off your phone?

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

We don't receive any error messages. 

We just don't get any new messages coming in. My wife's messages stopped a couple of weeks ago. My messages just stopped a couple of days ago.

As I said I have generated and used the new app password but that has not fixed the problem.

Cheers 

Thanks for the reply @seayjay1958.

If you go to the MyVM account and reset the email password on there.
Are you then able to sign back in your phones and see whether or not you can send or receive emails?

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Thank you. 

I just checked another thread and found that it has been suggested that it is a Gmail app problem. I uninstalled all the Gmail updates and I am now able to receive my emails.

I had not considered that it was Gmail at fault as I have an Android tablet which still works fine.

Hopefully Google will fix this soon and I can install the updates again

Thanks for your help

Thank you for the update @seayjay1958 on the forums! 👋🏼

I'm glad to hear the root cause has been found.
Keep us updated as the fix goes along and we can follow up after.
Let us know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Thanks