cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable routing

DG_Scotland
Joining in

Hi, I'm an existing VM customer and currently the coax cable runs from the internal wall box (at one end of my property) along the floor edge to my hub and tv box located at the other end of my property.  The cable was originally hidden by carpet and underlay however a requirement now exists for it to be re-routed due to new flooring being laid.

I'm assuming I'll need to raise a request for an engineer visit to complete the work, however when this happens, can I advise/instruct the engineer as to how I want the cable re-routed i.e. the specific route I want it to take (around that door, up that wall, down that wall etc) or do I need to leave them to decide the best route?

I have a preferred route for it but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to stipulate this to the engineer?

Any advice welcome.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should be able to do that as long as its all "visible" - i.e. unlikely to go under floorboards/ carpets,  etc.  May also be some limitations due to length of cables affecting signal strength - but I dont know what they are and thes can usually be changed by the Tech after installing

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes the re-route will all be visible.  It's not a massive property however the cable does need to run from one side to the other so quite a lot of routing around doors, up/down walls will be required.  I had considered doing this myself with cable bought online however from what I see on other forums and this one, that's a no no i.e. it has to be VM that install their own cable.

Hi @DG_Scotland 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts. 

Thank you for letting us know about your request to relocate your cable. We would be able to help with this however we will charge you for £25 for the appointment https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/price-guides

Please let me know if you are happy to proceed and we can book this for you.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs