cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Tivo box and wi-fi overnight

cadoc
Joining in

During this energy crisis, to save money I've been unplugging off my Tivo box and wi-fi at night.

I've had no problems so far but I've been told that this may not be a good idea for my equipment.

Can anyone tell me if what I'm doing is OK ?  (Or should I leave the equipment on 'standby' ?)

Also, how much money am I saving, (approximately), by unplugging my equipment ?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Portery
Fibre optic

Switching of the hub and stb can cause issues they get updates over the evening and switching of your hub can cause intermittent issues because the diagnostics tools thinks there is a fault the cost to keep them is pennies but switching them off can cause more issues. I have my hub connected to a smart device that measures consumption and on a daily basis my hub and stb costs 5 - 10 on a 24 hr cycle 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey cadoc, thanks for your first forum post and a warm welcome to our community.

We're appreciate your concerns in regard to how switching your equipment off every night may affect your services, we'd love to best advise on this.

Please, allow us to explain we sometimes send updates and signals from our network to your hub and TV boxes overnight and/or on unsocial hours.
This helps amongst others being able to communicate with the kit and monitor the service, or remotely update to the latest version of software etc.

We understand this may not sound cost-effective however you can put your equipment on standby where the energy consumption is very low and won't have such an impact to your bills, should you wish.

We're also glad to provide with this link here where you can see what energy each of our boxes spends and more useful info in regards.

Let us know if you have any more concerns or questions, we're here to assist.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs