Fake or real? Phish? Suspicious.

Timmybob
On our wavelength
Timmybob_0-1697225807226.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Far too many anomalies in the contact to be trustworthy IMO.

If you post the redacted email image above into your original topic back on the 'Security Matters' forum then one of the VM forum staff will respond there and will hopefully be able to check your account for any contact/offers and the VM person mentioned.

The VM forum staff do reply (usually a few days) in the 'Security Matters' forum but don't reply in 'Tech Chatter' normally.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Let's go with 'fake and phishing' and certainly 'suspicious' IMO!

Postcode on the email shows an empty office building on Google maps although a VM building (which looks like a local depot/hub) shows on Google maps further down the road with the address mentioned but with a different postcode.

Coupled with the very poor use of English, I don't think it's a deal I would follow up on via that email.

What does the last bit of the email address at the very top say? Not the whole thing, just the bit after the @ symbol?

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

It's a fake although not a classic one. There isn't the usual big button in the middle to click to "verify your details".

I am beginning to wonder if the recent threads from existing customers being offered discounted upgrades which VM then say they know nothing about could be affected by something like this.

Anyway just for fun ask Mr Patel (?) what your current package is and what you pay for it. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Timmybob
On our wavelength

It's odd though because Virgin Media on WhatsApp said it's legit. But I'm not convinced because on the phone they said one price and sent an even lower price via email...

But then they haven't asked for bank pin or details or anything. The contract PDF sent had no virus/malware. 

Also all my details were correct too on the contract including address and customer account no.

Despite the emailer sending through a contract with my account details etc, it makes me think it's legit.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What does the last bit of the email address at the very top say? Not the whole thing, just the bit after the @ symbol?

Timmybob
On our wavelength

virginmediao2.co.uk

Timmybob
On our wavelength

Then at the bottom of the page the person does the usual email signature: 

name lalalaallaa

email: **************@virginmedia.co.uk

Timmybob
On our wavelength

Further email from vm community forum

Hi Timmybob,

You are receiving this message because an image you uploaded to the forum has been rejected in our approval process due to it containing personal employee name and email address.

Please feel free to edit the image and upload it again.

Thanks

Timmybob
On our wavelength

I've sent a message back asking if it's legit or not, no reply...

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Far too many anomalies in the contact to be trustworthy IMO.

If you post the redacted email image above into your original topic back on the 'Security Matters' forum then one of the VM forum staff will respond there and will hopefully be able to check your account for any contact/offers and the VM person mentioned.

The VM forum staff do reply (usually a few days) in the 'Security Matters' forum but don't reply in 'Tech Chatter' normally.