cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound but no screen on some channels on Virgin TV Go on Window 11

mikesh
On our wavelength

Hi,

I've had to remove and reinstall Virgin Go on a Windows 11 PC as I had sound and no screen on all live channels.

Now I can get all Sky Sports and Movies, BBC channels (switches to iPlayer), but sound and a selection of no screen/frozen screen on everything else.

All the drivers are up to date and only a few percent of cpu being used. I downloaded Go from the VM website and seems to work ok on other devices.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Mike,

Please try the following to see if it makes any difference.

In Edge please try turning the "Use Hardware Acceleration when available" function to off.

It's under Settings > System & performance >  System

In Chrome it's under chrome://settings/system 

For Firefox follow the instructions <<< here >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike,

Have you tried using the direct link in a browser instead of using the TVGo Windows app?

https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/en.html   

(I'm currently having to open the windows TVGO  browser version in an incognito window on my W11 PC) The app is working without any issues on my tablets and mobiles.

As an aside, the only Sky Sports channels available via the TVGO app are Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix.  All other Sky Sports channels re-direct you to download and use theSky Sports Desktop Player Windows app.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

mikesh
On our wavelength

Thanks Dave.

I have this problem every few months on this computer and IIRC the longest period it was problem free was when I logged in the way you suggest.

However, when I try this now I still get sound but no screen on direct live channels including TNT Sports, sound but frozen screen on channels that are password protected (Sky Movies), and perfect on redirected channels (BBC and Sky Sports).

Virgin will probably tell me to clear the browser cache/history - a pain and it won't work. I think a conflicting file is stopping something from running and no services are involved, so probably the only answer is a complete reinstall of Windows 11, so probably easier to use another PC.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Mike,

Please try the following to see if it makes any difference.

In Edge please try turning the "Use Hardware Acceleration when available" function to off.

It's under Settings > System & performance >  System

In Chrome it's under chrome://settings/system 

For Firefox follow the instructions <<< here >>> 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

mikesh
On our wavelength

Hi Dave,

I think that may have fixed it - I won't know for 12 days as it says I have too many devices running. If I go into device mgmt I can see this is one of the listed five with the name that I gave it the other day when I removed and reinstalled it.

I will just have to watch the football later on my iPad with it's own 5G SIM, so a lot better and more reliable than the Virgin Gig1 broadband. 

Please don't think I am always knocking Virgin, but Sky Go was always better.

Thanks,

Mike