cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Very) Slow Cloudflare Proxied Websites

antdickens
Tuning in

Hi all,

This week I have had FTTP Virgin Media 500M installed, through SpeedTest.net I'm getting results of 550mbit down & 54mbit up -- great (via ethernet).

However, I've noticed some major lag when visiting my work websites. They are all public-facing and use the cache/proxy of Cloudflare CDN.

If I hard refresh (no cache) view https://hookshot.media with a naked VM connection, the page + assets can take over 1 minute to complete all the requests. Which I have never seen before on any other ISP.

Virgin MediaVirgin MediaIf I do the same test, connected via NordVPN, it takes around 0.3s:

VPNVPN

Does anyone know what is going on here? Does Virgin Media have known routing issues with Cloudflare?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

Seeing the same behaviour here.

Tried my backup 4G Three connection and the site loads within a second.

Thanks for confirming -- glad it's not just me.

I just tried disabling the Cloudflare proxy on the website, and requests going direct to the origin server are <1 second.

It appears it's some routing issue between Cloudflare's CDN/Cache and Virgin Media.

unisoft
Well-informed

Yes, I also had that when I was on VM until recently when I left. I thought it was mee getting the wrong URL paths as part of the cache at the time or thinking it [cloudflare caching] didn't work with the mixed pages code and content.

Synthetic
Superfast

Is it just at peak times you see this?

I had a similar issue a while ago where connectivity to Cloudflare would be useless around 20:30-21:00, an mtr showed packet loss on Virgin's PNI with Cloudflare, however when I tried to raise this I got nowhere with CS. 

That site loads instantly for me now at 09:25, mtr shows no packet loss either

Thanks for further confirming a similar issue. Trying it again the last couple of mornings it has been absolutely... so yes, I believe it's that 20:00-22:00 window where I was getting the issues.

I will try over the next couple of evenings, I also saw packet loss when testing. If it's not happening constantly I can probably live with it, but yeah very frustrating when the VPN was absolutely fine!

Synthetic
Superfast

Yeah VPN will work fine as it bypasses Virgin's Cloudflare PNI, in my case I just routed all Cloudflare's subnets over a secondary line, and totally forgot about it to be honest! 

If anyone from Virgin wants to raise this, please ask networks to look at the utilisation of your Cloudflare PNI at 162.158.32.254/31