cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Low Speeds Since Installation

Glaemr
Tuning in

I've recently had broadband set up in my new house (installed 08/04/2023), I am on the M250 Fibre Broadband contract so should be reaching speeds of anywhere from 132Mbps minimum, but usually 250Mbps+ as per the contract.

During the install the speed check was at the contracted amount (~260Mbps). The engineer then went outside to fix replace some cables that were old. Since then the speed has not reached 50Mbps at any time. The engineer said that it would take a few weeks to stop fluctuating which is why I've delayed in sorting this.

The Virgin Media low speeds diagnostic tool in browser does not find this issue as I get the point where it tells me some of my devices have poor connection (due to distance from the modem: not a real problem). As a result I've come here to see what options I have in getting this fixed.

30-40Mbps on average is enough for me to work and survive on however I did pick a contract with high speed so would like this sorted, or some sort of refund/lower cost contract if the higher speed is not possible.

If anyone has any idea on how to proceed from here, that would be appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

When looking at speed issues is it critical to understand where speed is being lost.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilities.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

When looking at speed issues is it critical to understand where speed is being lost.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilities.

Glaemr
Tuning in

Glaemr_0-1683109021293.png

That's a great tool that I had no idea existed, thank you!

So it's clear that modem is receiving at the right speed, the download rate seen is similar to what I've run from this PC (wired through a mains power internet extender).

Running a few speed tests on my phone from right next to the modem still yields only 20-30Mbps download speed: which seems to hint at your last comment but interestingly when it was installed the same speed test showed the 200+ speed.

Seeing as the router speed is at the right speed the issue is probably solved. But I'm still curious about the huge change in the speed on my phone when testing. If anyone has any idea of what caused this?

Client62
Legend

The service to Hub is fine, that is always a good start.

if those are AV600 Powerline adaptors at 63.5 Mb/s that would be quite good.

20-30Mb/s when using a mobile phone suggests the WiFi connection has been made on the 2.4Ghz band where speeds up to 50 Mb/s are possible.

Hi Glaemr, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to see that you have been having connection issues and can see from the screen shot that you are obtaining the correct speed. Can you do a pin hole reset to see if anything changes? 

You will be able to download the connect app to search for black spots in the property. 

Please let us know how it goes? ^Chris. 

Glaemr
Tuning in

Thanks for the replies,

It looks like the issue isnt the router so I dont think any further help is required.

I think the difference in wifi speeds is probably more to do with lots of competing wifi in the area, and the thick walls of the house than any fault.

Thanks for the help