cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious call - loyalty discount

m3023
Joining in

Hi all, 

just received a call by an O2/virginmedia person, claiming I am eligible for a 40% discount as I was never late with payment. They asked for an email to then change the password to apply the 40% discount to my account. This order sounded highly suspicious. I was asked to do this during the call and I did not. So now I’ve got an email requesting a change of password (looking pretty much legit) , I have the password that they dictated to me and their name and call back number. 
how does this all sound to you all? 
changing a password to apply a discount sounds particularly unusual to me. 
I have the number that I called on as well as the number that I was supposed to call back to. Should I post it here? 
Could a virgin media employee please verify these numbers? 

cheers and thanks for any help! 

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@m3023 wrote:

Hi all, 

⋮. 
how does this all sound to you all?

A scam; but egress to how they monetise is unclear.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi m3023 👋

Thank you for getting in touch. We would be able to send you a PM to confirm a few account details, when we can then see if any of our staff have been in touch regarding any available deal. 

You can find more information on what to do if you do deal with Fraudulent calls or Vishing scams here 👉 Dealing with Fraudulent Calls & Vishing Scams | Virgin Media Help

In the meantime if you need to secure your email account too just to be safe, we would recommend updating your password! Either following logging in to your account, or via the 'forgotten password' process. If at any stage you believe your email address has been hacked there's some handy information here too 👉 My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

I will send you a PM now to take a closer look at the account and confirm if there are any notes from our agents regarding an outbound call to you. You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

VC10
Dialled in

I too have been contacted from 'O2' offering me a discount on my bills. The first part of the process was to tell them the one time pass code that they had texted me. It was at that point I hung up.

m3023
Joining in

Thanks all for your answers!! @Molly_T thanks, you will receive my info now. Cheers