cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email just received warning I have been Hacked and a Trojan installed

JRG49
Dialled in

Hi,

Re my old ntlworld email address which is still open despite leaving Virgin two and a half years ago- I have just received a threatening email warning me that I have been hacked and that a Trojan has been installed etc and basically I need to pay $600 in bitcoins into an account or whoever it is, or they will send out spurious details about me.  Now I have read these are just scams etc trying it on but the email does list what was my last password so they must have got in so this does worry me. Trouble is I can no longer access the account via the Virgin sign in page, it doesn't even recognise my email address so presumably whoever it is has changed the sign in completely?  What I would like to do is cancel the account altogether if possible? I've tried going through Virgin/O2 Mobile whom I do have a mobile account with but it's proving impossible to go through them due to App issues not recognising my log in details despite numerous attempts.   Thanks for any help? 

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Miscreant include such information to lend credence to the baseless threat being made. It should be ignored but if you still have concerns consider contacting Action Fraud

By the way, is / was the disclosed password used elsewhere? Yes, then with some urgency update it to a unique password.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JRG49,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, it has been a while, hope you have kept well, we are sorry to hear your Email has been hacked, as you have advised you are no longer with us we can arrange for this to be deleted, please look out for the white envelope to a private chat.

Regards

Paul.

catdun
Tuning in

I have received exactly the same email as you at 13:11 this afternoon telling me a Trojan has been installed and detailing my email password which was set up by Virgin when a similar incident happened a few years ago. As I am still with Virgin (although not likely to be for much longer) I tried to change my password but was unable to do so and had to call support who changed it to a "temporary" password and advised me to change it which again I have been unable to do. I am extremely alarmed by the apparent lack of security with Virgin Media/ntworld email accounts and even more so when reading of so many similar problems on this forum and elsewhere online. Some reassurance from Virgin Media 

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JRG49,

Thank you for joining me in a private chat, as advised an I T ticket has been raised to permanently delete your Email which will stop any further access, there is some further information around what you can do when your Email gets hacked here.

If you do need any further help/ support in the meantime, please reach back out.

Regards

Paul.