cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email has been compromised by a Spam / Trojan link - email is saying it's coming from Yahoo, please help!

JMK3
Joining in

So my elderly relative replied to a Spam / Phishing email which turned out to be SPAM / FAKE.

Looks like their email account has been compromised as when an email address is sent it says the sender is YAHOO

I've virus scanned their laptop changed their log in details and password and checked for any auto forward rules or changes to their email address, there's nothing obvious and I've run out of ideas.

Any suggestions on how I fix the YAHOO bit?  

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JMK3 wrote:

Looks like their email account has been compromised as when an email address is sent it says the sender is YAHOO.

So are you saying that emails sent from this account show the sender as being:

1. personsname@yahoo.com?
  2. or yahoo <personsname@virginmedia.com>?  (Or @blueyonder @ntlworld or whichever domain name your relative uses)

If it's 1. then at the moment I have no idea how that can be done.  However, if you confirm that's what happening I'll have a long think about it. 😉

If it's 2. it suggests the hacker has changed the "Your name" field in the webmail account settings. The first place to go try to resolve that is:

• sign into the webmail account for that email account.
  • click on the cog (settings) symbol top right
  • click on "Accounts"  from the left hand menu
  • then "Edit" to the right end side of the "Email" under the Accounts heading.
  • that opens up a new box, check the "Your name" section and see if that has your relative's name or "Yahoo".
  • If it says "Yahoo" change to the desired name and click "Save"
  • Go back and view the inbox and send out a test message to see if that has solved the problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JMK3 thanks for your post here in the Community although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

If you can first follow the steps provided by @coenoby and if this is still not working for you, please don't hesitate to report back and we can take things from there.

Many thanks

Tom_W