cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when we move house?

brockett
On our wavelength

I'm really worried after reading some of the horror stories here...we are moving house, we thought it was going to be further into the future but our buyer wants us to move early December - how will it work? We really can't be without our broadband, so how do we make sure it will all be ok? Do most people's moves go ok and those here are the exception, or should we expect trouble, or even switch provider?! I thought we would just take our hub and plug it in at the new house. No idea about tech, but I really need it to work. (I've no idea where to post this, it doesn't seem to suit any of the choices...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you reviewed the info here?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/moving-home

No one on here can give you any guarantees that will be worth anything as each home move will have different variables to consider which might affect how easy/difficult it is to set up a VM connection.

Do you know if your new home has an existing VM connection or whether a new cable will need to be installed?

Do you know if the current occupiers of your new home are currently VM customers?

One assumes (in hope) that the topics on here, where it has all gone wrong, are a small percentage of VM's installation turnover.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you reviewed the info here?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/moving-home

No one on here can give you any guarantees that will be worth anything as each home move will have different variables to consider which might affect how easy/difficult it is to set up a VM connection.

Do you know if your new home has an existing VM connection or whether a new cable will need to be installed?

Do you know if the current occupiers of your new home are currently VM customers?

One assumes (in hope) that the topics on here, where it has all gone wrong, are a small percentage of VM's installation turnover.

brockett
On our wavelength

Thank you for your reply, I hope you're right 🙂 I know the area has Virgin because we viewed a house two doors away that has it, but this house doesn't currently have it, it's been empty for two years waiting for probate. I'm hoping if two houses away has it that it is easy to install in ours?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should firstly confirm the actual/specific address appears on the VM postcode checker, if you have not done so already.

Next see if you have the VM access plates in the pavement outside to get an idea of where the cable might enter your property (sometimes they can be seen on Google street view).

If those two things are obvious, and in place, then that might offer some encouragement at the outset.

It is the cable installation part of the process where VM regularly falls flat on its face, in the topics on here, due to the shambolic sub-contracting arrangements it has set up for cable installations.

You could do some research into a mobile data SIM, on a rolling monthly basis, which you could use as a fall-back at short notice if there is a VM installation delay. If you have a backup plan already decided on, before you move, you would be ready to put it into action quickly (rather than having to start doing any research) if it looks like your installation will be delayed.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi brockett,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many apologies for any issues faced regarding the information on a house move, can we just clarify from the advice given above, have you managed to find out if the address is serviceable?

Let us know,

Kain

brockett
On our wavelength

Hello again. Hoping this reply will work, though it's been a few months since I wrote! That house sale fell through and so next week we are hoping to move into a different one. I think from google streetview I do see that the houses in this street  all have the VM access plates in the pavement outside. This house didn't have Virgin before as far as I know, certainly the current owner doesn't have it, but given that the access plates are there, do you have any idea how long it might take to connect us? Thank you 🙂

goslow
Alessandro Volta

All info remains as above ref VM's installations IMO. It's anyone's guess as to how long it will take and what kind of installation experience you get.

Does your new property appear on the postcode checker?

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband

If it does, and when the time comes to order, all you can do is place your order and wait. Hopefully all goes smoothly but have a backup plan ready to go in case any delays do arise.