cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Bband purchase: Is the credit check a soft or hard credit check? Will it affect property purchase?

Pingpongset
Tuning in

Virgin Broadband purchase: Is the credit check a soft or hard credit check? Will it affect property purchase?

10 REPLIES 10

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Pingpongset,

Thanks for posting 🙂 You can find information regarding our credit check policy here

alex_Rm

Pingpongset
Tuning in

Hi @alex_RM

Thank you for your reply.

I actually came across the link before posting my question, but I don't know if my questions are answered based on the link you posted. 

I wonder if you could kindly answer my questions posted in the OP.

Thanks!

Hi Pingpongset,

I've double checked this with my colleagues, and this should be a soft search.

Alex_Rm

Hi @alex_RM

You said, "this should be a soft search."

Please could you confirm if this is a soft search? Because I am buying a property and the lender will check my credit score before releasing the mortgage fund. If it is a hard search, it might affect my property purchase.

Thanks!

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Pingpongset 👋

I apologise for the confusion with this. As with most utility providers, and because our services are a financial product, this will be a hard credit check when you first request services from us, as we need to identify that you have requested and held services at your address. As mentioned on the link previously, the agencies we use (primarily Equifax), will record details of the search, whether or not the application goes ahead. 

Our business reports consistently with other telecommunications and utility providers and it's important to us and our customers to make careful considerations when installing and billing for our products and services.

Equifax states that a soft search is usually conducted when an applicant has requested a quotation for credit, whereas a full credit check is done when you have made a formal application for credit or a company is extending a form of credit to you such as utility providers, telecommunications, and mobile phone companies.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece_MH,

What information would appear from my credit report that other companies will see? for example, is it something like "Applying for Virgin Broadband"?

Thanks!

Pingpongset
Tuning in

Hi Reece_MH,

Further to my previous question, how many days will it take for the information to appear on the two big credit reference agencies, Experian and Equifax? 

We wouldn't be able to advise what exactly they see as this is reported by Equifax not ourselves. For further information on any reports, we would recommend reaching out to them. 

With regards to a time frame, we would advise up to 30 days to show on your credit report. 

^Martin

Hi @Martin_N,

Thank you for your information.

I thought the information Virgin Media sent out to agencies would determine the information shown up on my report, no?

Regarding the 30-day info, please could you provide a link to this? It would be greatly appreciated.