cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspberry Pi, which one? PiHole etc and VM Pod?

Laticsforlife
Joining in

I'm looking to block ads on my network for things like Firestick.

I've seen it in action on my son's network but as I'm on VM, thought I'd better check it's going to be fine.

Firstly is a Raspberry Pi 2014 V3B fine for this, or do I need a V4 with more RAM?

As part oy my setup I have a Huawei router connected by long LAN at a distance from my VM5 router which acts solely as a AP (same SSID but DHCP turned off obvs).  It's plugged directly into the VM5

I also have a VM pod to cover my garden plugged into a conservatory socket.

Do either of these cause any issues when running PiHole on the Pi which I understand will take over the DHCP side of the system.  Does the fact that the 2nd router is directly connected to the VM5 cause me any issues with it getting an IP address or the pod for that matter, especially if the VM5 isn't giving them out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should have no problems with your equipment running Pinhole. I use 2 Pi-Holes for redundancy. It’s best to install the the cloudflared module for DNS, read the Pi-Hole docs. Any Pi will do for Pi-Hole, I use 2 x 3B. It uses very little memory or CPU. Current status:

Status

Active
Load:  0.46  0.33  0.29
Memory usage:  17.4 %
Temp: 26.3 °C

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should have no problems with your equipment running Pinhole. I use 2 Pi-Holes for redundancy. It’s best to install the the cloudflared module for DNS, read the Pi-Hole docs. Any Pi will do for Pi-Hole, I use 2 x 3B. It uses very little memory or CPU. Current status:

Status

Active
Load:  0.46  0.33  0.29
Memory usage:  17.4 %
Temp: 26.3 °C

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2