cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Test Confusion

Muselnor
Tuning in

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my Virgin Wifi from 500mbps to 1gb. I use a Netgear Orbi mesh system and have switched modem mode on. On the speed test app I am only getting around 7-9mbps but on the orbi app its showing 939mbps. What I am keen to know Is whether speedtest app showing the wireless speed and the orbi is showing the hardwired speed? My phone seems to be struggling with videos and I assume this is because its a wirelessly connected device. I was sent a new Hub 5 router to replace the and never had this issue before as both the wireless speedtest and orbi speedtest were similar at around 489mbps. Is there anything I am missing in the hub setting or can anyone shed some light on why the wireless and hardwired speeds differ?

I have rebooted my new Hub 5 but to no prevail. I’m still getting the same results.

Thanks in advance. 

6 REPLIES 6

Muselnor
Tuning in

Was meant to say I was sent a new Hub 5 router to replace the hub 3.

Client62
Legend

On the speed test app I am only getting around 7-9mbps - Exactly what speed test app would this be ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What make/model of phone are you using.

Speedtest Apps are notoriously flaky.   Do it in a couple of browsers at....

https://speedtest.samknows.com/

and

https://www.speedtest.net/

Try on 2 different browsers - as Chrome sometimes gives odd results.

Also what do you get on a laptop/tablet ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Speedtest by Ookla

I’m using the iPhone 13 Pro and Speedtest App by Ookla. I have an iMac giving me the same results on the ookla speed test website. The iMac is also connected wirelessly.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you are in modem mode the Orbi is doing all the heavy lifting and the Hub is contributing nothing.  If I were you I would set it all up again from scratch as per this..

Switch on and set up your own first Orbi unit unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode (not access point mode). Then, disconnect all cables from your Orbis and switch them off and unplug all cables from them.

Then, ensure the VM Hub5 is in modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait 5 minutes to set up and get the green light

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. NOW switch on  your first Orbi and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then plug in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub - use its 2.5GB port for max speeds.

AND NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect the other Orbi units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.