cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Orbi RBR50 not working with Virgin Hub 5

TheHillFamily
Tuning in

Hi,

I have recently upgraded from Virgin Hub 3 to Virgin Hub 5.  Previously, I had Hub 3 in modem mode and Orbi in router mode.  All was well (no lights on Orbi, indicating it was working as expected).  My orbi has 2 satellites, but I'm not sure that is relevant to the issue I now have.

I have now installed Hub 5.  I put it into modem mode (green light) and connected it to the WAN port of my Orbi. I am only using one ethernet port on the Hub 5 to connect to the Orbi. Initially, all was working perfectly (wifi and wired ethernet connections) - except - Orbi had a constant magneta light (which is supposed to indicate no internet, but both wifi and ethernet ports worked perfectly).  So I ignored the light.

However, yesterday the Orbi magneta light stopped glowing and the ethernet ports stopped working.  Wifi still working perfectly (which - I guess - indicates not a Hub 5 issue, which is still showing a green light).  Wired ethernet  connections connect directly from the 3 ports on the Orbi to my laptop, sonos and to an ethernet switch which connects to Heatmiser, Lightwave, Virgin TV box etc.).  Nothing that connects through a wired ethernet connection is working, but wifi is perfect.

I saw a suggestion somewhere to use the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode, but to do that I need to put the Virgin Hub back into router mode but switch off the wifi.  I'm not sure that the wifi can be turned off in the Hub 5, other than by putting it into modem mode.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With a new Hub you need to follow a defined sequence - try again like this

To correctly set it up see Tudor’s message 2 in here….
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub3-in-Modem-mode/td-p/5206738

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Have you rebooted the Orbi?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yes, rebooted both Orbi and Hub 5 (separately).  No change to status quo.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With a new Hub you need to follow a defined sequence - try again like this

To correctly set it up see Tudor’s message 2 in here….
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub3-in-Modem-mode/td-p/5206738

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, I will try that sequence.

Quick question for the newbies:

1. "make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)".  What and how do I do this on Orbi RBR50?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It will be somewhere in the Orbi's Network settings - mine (Apple Airport) is in  the "Network" tab in the  "Router Mode" - with a drop down selection. see below

They will all differ slightly....

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 15.24.54.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 15.25.07.png

--------------------
John
--------------------