cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 wifi mode

Vim1965
Tuning in

Afternoon

This morning my Hub 3 mis behaved and I lost internet access.

It was in modem mode and doing a factory reset via the web page, the wifi did not work as a router. The Hub 3 has been in modem mode for nearly 3 years and I am using a Tenda MW6 mesh unit.

After spending most of today on the what's app chat, I have an engineer coming tomorrow ( speedy ).

Is it Hub 3 good as a modem only?

Are the Hub 4 or 5 better?

Do VM have a modem only as I am relucent to start changing all my tech ( Doorbells, camera's, hubs and the family equipment )

Your comments gratefully received  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Well set it up in modem mode again with your Tenda

I would suggest using a better 3rd party router with your Tenda

any hubs are bad for wifi support some even when you setup the SSID and password just causes the hub to reset to defaults some days later best to use your own kit

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Vim1965
Tuning in

Sorry, meant to say changing the network and passwords.

Amazing how we depend on broadband!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Well set it up in modem mode again with your Tenda

I would suggest using a better 3rd party router with your Tenda

any hubs are bad for wifi support some even when you setup the SSID and password just causes the hub to reset to defaults some days later best to use your own kit

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just set it up properly again as per this...

... see Tudor’s message 2 in here….
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub3-in-Modem-mode/td-p/5206738

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have setup the  Hub 3 in modem mode to make thing work. Only option I think.....

Which third party routers work? Would that increase the network speed (download/upload)?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Vim1965 wrote:

I have setup the  Hub 3 in modem mode to make thing work. Only option I think.....

Which third party routers work? Would that increase the network speed (download/upload)?

Your Tenda MW6 for starters 😎 

Assuming the Hub is in modem mode then the first Tenda unit - connected on ethernet cable to the Hub - is doing the routing duties.  Only need a different/better one if you need/want extra more advanced features than the MW6 offers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.