cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 - issues after upgrade

mat_obeirne
Joining in

Decided to upgrade my Wi-Fi to gig1, have had nothing but grief ever since!

customer service seem to send you round in circles, speed tests showing they are ‘supplying’ agreed speeds through the cable, but Wi-Fi is atrocious at best, no internet coming through erthnet connections, and left with a 18month contract that you can’t cancel because the supplying line is correct. 

I suspect the hub 5 is possibly at fault, but the call centre just seem to be absolutely no help! 

Upgrading to VM? Personally I would advise others to go elsewhere based on my experience so far! 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Start by first checking for any “known network faults in your location - Look in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status)

2) Then also Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

Re. wifi issues - see this

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?),

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - they should work for you.

VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage

Try the pods first

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, mat_obeirne. 
Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our help forums for the first time, we're glad to have you joining our community. 🙂

Sorry to see you've had issues with your wireless speeds and connection although our tests show the service your hub receives is, we appreciate how frustrating this can be for you and we'd love to assist where we can.

We do not see any outages present upon latest checks to explain this on our systems.

In regard to the poor Wi Fi connection, this may lie to the fact that as each hub type broadcasts the wireless signal in different ways so this changed when you switched to the hub 5 due to the 1Gig upgrade.
This doesn't mean our hub 5 is not great or it has a fault, however we can help with reviewing this if needed.

Not to worry as if it's a coverage issue we can run a few checks and see if we need to add a Wi Fi Pod(or a second if you already got one).

We'd also be happy to run diagnostics and see if there's a fault on your hub or something else is causing this interference, however please let us know how you get on and if the issues are still present - glad to support you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs