cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get WiFi Pods for 5x router or cancel while in 14 days

Bionicbone
Tuning in

Hi guys,

I spent hours on this, going round in circles.

Web chat can't help because I have 5x router and needs a "special team"

I call the number they gave and that sends a text back to web help

Found a new number 0800 052 5745, that doesn't recognise (after pressing #) my account number and sends me back to original main number.

I'll give it until Tuesday then activate right to cancel due to lack of stable WiFi in two rooms

If any support guys read this and can get involved it would be appreciated but understand I reverse the right to cancel because the service I have witnessed today is deeply concerning should I have a problem later during the contract. 

As a serial reviewer, would I recommend Virgin Broadband? Absolutely not at this stage it far too difficult to talk to someone with bot systems designed to keep looping in circles.

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For interest... how come you got a 5x?  Did you request it or were you asked to join  in "trialling it".  Were the limitations explained before you signed up? I am guessing you must be on the XGPON full fibre connection?

Are you a new VM customer within 14 days of getting your service activated - your title suggests that  - or was it an upgrade?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Totally new to virgin, on full fibre connection, so still in the 14 days.

I had no idea there was a trail at all, nothing was ever said about any of this I thought it was just the standard install for Virgin so never questioned it. 

Honestly I did suspect it would not be very easy to get the WiFi in every room, expected some push back but kind of knew that there was no way WiFi would reach my extension, it is not a case of slow speed but no speed. Based on this I thought their original engineer would simply fit some pods on install day. But he just said use the app and made it sound easy to do.

Very disappointing 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your options as I see it are..

1) Cancel and go elsewhere - search on here for the best way to do that

2) Wait for VM to enable modem mode!

3) Ethernet cable connect as many devices as possible and also get your own wireless equipment and continue in router mode

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply

Looks like people have been waiting for modem mode for some time, some posted links which I've not personally checked but all suggest this just locks up the router which then needs a reset.

Re buying my own equipment, I would but it feels wrong when I signed based on Virgin Website promoting "WiFi Max guarantee (no extra cost) and up to 3 WiFi pods if needed". I am still not clear if their pods are compatible with their own 5x router. I read a good thread on here which sounded a similar situation and that concluded that an engineer came out and after a lot of messing and phone calls they fitted two pods and they worked ok at around 100mb/s. For me 100mb/s would be absolutely fine, I would be happy with just a reliable connection in the far reach place.

Client62
Legend

VM Wi-Fi pods are only of interest for one poor reason - Customers may get them for free.

At £0 customers are oddly willing to overlook all of these significant drawbacks...

1) VM pods are issued 1 at a time, each is a total nightmare to secure

2) VM Pods are very very likely to fail to work with the Hub 5x - Read such reports on this forum.

3) VM Pods are totally locked down. i.e. you can not fix or amend their behaviour.

4) VM Pods when delivered typically don't work with Hub 5x and hardly anyone at VM knows why.

5) Wish to use a Spilt SSID - Nope. VM Pods will not support that.

6) When Hub 5x fails or is replaced, oops - all you VM Pods have not stopped working

Go back to step 1 and begin ordering 1 at a time with all the same pain again.

And VM chat just wrote this, what a joke

I'm afraid that you are still in contract and will be charged for an early disconnection fee as you have 17 months and 27 days left.

Mmm, 3 days into a contract.

Client62
Legend

Reach for your Mont Blanc and cancel in fury of turquoise ink ! 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

Bionicbone
Tuning in

Lol. I finally managed to speak to someone in what I think was the "5x Special Team" he did some tests but ended saying I will receive an SMS and email in the next 24 - 48 hours inviting me to order a pod (one at a time), up to 3. 

I have to admit though, I'm not sure if he changed anything or if early this morning low interference played a part but I was getting 20mb/s in the areas where yesterday I was getting dropped WiFi and less than 1mb/s

I am skeptically hopeful...