cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband, Wifi Pods and Bandwidth

JLocko67
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm looking to confirm what I have been told but Virgin Media over a chat regarding my network. I have a Hub 3, Volt 250 and 2 WiFi pods. A house on 3 floors (ground, mid and loft extension, rear kitchen extension with the Hub 3 in the loft office. The two pods are on the mid and lower level but I have no signal in toilet (yes it seems we need it) and poor speed in the kitchen extension, around 15-20mbs (this is effectively the back of the house. Everywhere else in the house the speed is around 150 to 250mbs with around 20 devices connected. 

The saga; I got on a chat and asked for an additional Wifi Pod for the rear of the house, this is within my volt package. This is where the fun started. I was told my issue was not signal reach but bandwidth. The service agent was super reluctant to allow an additional pod and kept insisting I need to upgrade the speed to solve the issue. This makes me very skeptical. I previously had a Netgear Orbi which I never had any issue with but only retired is it kept restarting, a problem I just could not solve so concluded that Virgin WiFi pods was the solution. Clearly not with just two pods. 

At the end of our exchange the agent admitted that he was not being allowed to send an additional pod because his system was telling him otherwise. 

So is this correct? I need to upgrade my speed to solve my issues? I'm finding it hard to believe what I am being told.

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6

JLocko67
Tuning in

... just to add, Ive been in everyroom with the virgin connect app, good speed with 20+ devices connected other than the two rooms mentioned. Additionally when I mentioned the virgin promise of £100 credit if you get below 30mbs in every room - that was totally sidestepped by the agent who kept citing my issue was bandwidth even though I could prove the issue was only in two rooms and not devices disconnecting.

Client62
Legend

The agent was clearly under orders to sell bandwidth which does not improve Wi-Fi coverage or range but would lock you into a new 18 month contract at a higher price.   To avoid this issue we use our own wireless access points.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JLocko67

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about the mishap with your WiFi pods

I will drop you a private message now to collect some more information and investigate further so I can look to get this resolved for you, keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Absolutely, I'd just been through getting my 81 year old Mother-in-law's account changed over to her after the death of my FIL who was the account holder, I had to step in as she was sold a completely new contract rather than being pointed to the bereavement team for a name change. They talked her into the top volt! - she's 81!! . Even then they still cut her off all services, Virgin nose dived to a pitiful new low in my estimation. Shockingly poor customer service then I get [MOD EDIT: Language] with this.... 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JLocko67 

Thanks for joining me via private message, I'm very glad we have managed to get this resolved for you now and the pod is up and running.

Please do be sure to contact us if you ever require any further assistance. Have a great day.

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for resolving in a sensible manner and perhaps feedback to the 'sales force' that turning a signal reach problem into a speed/bandwidth upsell opportunity is very poor and cynical customer service.