cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM refusing to terminate my contract

rsbuckell
Joining in

Copy of incident dated 2/3/24

There appears to be no email address that Virgin Media will accept, although I have since managed to cut and paste this into a complaints web form’.  They have sent me an email with a confirmation number ref of: C-020324557.

VIRGIN MEDIA Account No.: [MOD EDIT: Personal info]

To Virgin Media, 

I have just had the most infuriating conversation with one of your staff that has left me baffled and very concerned for your organisation, entirely witnessed by my wife.

This afternoon Saturday the 2nd March 2024 at 13:19 I called the virgin service number: 03454541111 and selected the option to cancel my contract with you.  I passed the security check and got sent to the  ‘Leaving team’ where I repeated everything I had already said to the first responder again.  I then informed the Lady speaker that I wanted to leave Virgin and was giving the statutory 31 days notice.

The lady responded by asking me why I was leaving and I told her it was because I had already signed with SKY.  There then began a ridiculous series of questions where she kept asking me what I was paying SKY and asking me to stay with Virgin and offering me a new package. None of which I wanted. I seemed unable to get through to her that I was giving a month's notice and was already signed up to SKY.  I eventually asked to speak to her Supervisor as there was clearly a language & comprehension barrier.

After a long wait she returned on the call to tell me that her Manager has told her to tell me that I would have to call back in 10 days and attempt to terminate the contract again in order to avoid termination fees.  I again reiterated to her that I was terminating the contract from today and was not calling back.  She was having none of it and refused to accept my desire to end the contract and insist I call back. She was unable even tell me what the termination fee was.  I again told her I wanted to speak to her Manager, she told me her manager wasn’t available to speak to and simply kept repeating that I just call back in 10 days.  By now I was quite angry and ended the call with her.

Then I phoned your ‘customer complaints’ number and guess what? Nowhere does it tell the caller to press a number to speak to someone to make a complaint.  Just round and round in circles, so I hung up.

I intend to make a formal complaint to Trading Standards, OFCOM and the FCA about this oppressive, illogical and unprofessional conduct.

By sending this email to you I will cease payment to Virgin Media for my Broadband/TV/Phone service by 2nd April 2024

FOOTNOTE: I have emailed the FCA & OFCOM this document and posted a printed copy recorded delivery to VM HQ today. I have also since discovered that VM have been under investigation by OFCOM since July 2023 for the same practices. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

VM is indeed under investigation for exactly this behaviour https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Breaking-OFCOM-investigating-VM-over-difficult...

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

VM is indeed under investigation for exactly this behaviour https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Breaking-OFCOM-investigating-VM-over-difficult...

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi rsbuckell 👋

Thanks for posting, and a warm welcome to the Forums.

I'm very sorry to hear about this poor experience when contacting our team to discuss your services. I'm going to send you a private message, to assist further. Please look out for it in the top-right, white envelope or by tapping your profile picture, and selecting "Messages".

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ