cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone

Wallynotone
On our wavelength

My parents landline hasn't been working for three days now.

Basically there is no dial tone and also when we phone into the landline from a mobile it rings the mobile side but no sound from the landline, 9 out of 10 times. When it does ring, it rings once on the landline side after hearing it on the mobile ringing around 8 or more times.

I have tried plugging in a wired (backup) phone and it is the same thing.

I rang virginmedia helpline last night and spoke to a gentleman who tested the line and said there was nothing wrong with it. He then rang the line (we were speaking on my mobile) and I picked up after one ring and he said it had rang 5 or more times his side (still no dial tone). He then passed me onto another gentleman who then ran some tests and then asked me if the phone had another handset and if so to unplug it. I did that and the dial tone was back. He said that it was the second handset/base that was interfering. I thought it strange because it hadn't worked earlier when unplugged when we had plugged in the wired phone, but it was working again so that was all that mattered. So.....

Tested again this morning and no dial tone (other base is still unplugged and turned off) and when I ring into the landline from mobile I hear it ringing on my mobile but nothing from landline phone side.

Please help. I canny bare to ring the help phone-line again with all the options and waiting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For anyone reading the threads I thought I would come back and just say this is now resolved. Took 6+ weeks but with the phoneline impossible to repair finally got a new modem from Vrigin (hub 3) which the phone now operates through. Just had to have the modem moved downstairs next to phone and Bob's ya uncle.

Thanks to all that replied.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Wallynotone 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome back to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear your parents are experiencing issues with the Landline. Can you confirm whether they're plugging the handset into a Master, or Extension Socket? You can tell which is a Master socket as it will have a Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex logo on it.

Can you also confirm how many devices are connected to the landline socket(s)? Are any other devices connected such as:

- Other telephones

- Personal Computers

- Faxes

- Modems

- Satellite TV digiboxes
- Micro-filters

- ADSL modem or router

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece. We only have the one socket and it is plain white with no logo. There is only the one phone plugged into it, nothing else. Our modem/pc is connected via cable which is unconnected the the phone line/connection.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming, Wallynotone.

I'm going to drop you a private message as it looks like we'll need to get a Technician out to look into this further. Please look out for my private message in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

OK thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Wallynotone,

Thank you for your Private Message updates on your technical appointment that Reece arranged for you.

He's currently out of the office, but we've received your messages and we're glad to hear that your issue is now resolved. 

If there's anything else we can do to help going forward, please let us know. We're here to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina. Well since my last update the problem is back, on and off, most days. It seems totally random as to if we will get a dial tone or not, or can dial in.  The engineer that was sent out said it was definetely not our line or equipment but a network issue (He traveled off to a "box" to figure it out and it was fixed the next day, or so we thought).  We got a text just the other day to say that there were going to be carrying out essential works in our area on Wednesday (10th), and no idea if that is connected to any problems we have been having.

My folks rely on that landline. I was hoping it would sort itself out now the problem was known but I'm back to ask for help again. They are elderly and it is worrying not being able to get in touch with them. When it wasn't working last week my dad had to use his mobile to contact doctors and it just can't hear on that properly. So I'm sure you understand how important it is they get this resloved. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Hi @Wallynotone,

Thank you for the update on this. I'm very sorry to hear that your issues seem to have returned.

I've taken a look over things on our systems, and it appears that there's a known fault we're working on which would explain why you're having this problem. Currently, the estimated fix date/time for the fault is approximately 3:00pm on May 12th. Apologies for the inconvenience that this will cause.

If your issues persist beyond this time, please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thank you very much!

Hi @Wallynotone,

I hope you're doing well. I've investigated this fault further for you today, and though the fault is still ongoing it doesn't appear that it'd have any effect on your landline services.

Can you confirm if your landline issues are ongoing today, or have they now been resolved?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!