cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

Pete0223
Joining in

Sometime during the last three to seven days my landline stopped working. There is no dial tone. The connections seem fine and the service status indicates no problems, but from reading other comments on this board I know that doesn't mean much. Can someone please confirm the fault lies with Virgin and let me know when it will be fixed.

6 REPLIES 6

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Pete0223 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the landline issues.

When doing a system diagnostic check for you, it says it's detecting the landline is engaged. Have you got any pieces of equipment connected to the phone? If so, can you unplug these for me and try it again? 

Can you also confirm for me if you've tried unplugging the landline and then re-plugging back in? 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

Thanks for replying so quickly. The only thing connected to the socket is the phone and an extension phone. I've just plugged the phone in without the extension, but it didn't help. 

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for coming back to me and confirming. 

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo.
Are you also able to check another phone at all?
Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

My downstairs phone is plugged into a wall socket where the wire comes in from outside the house, adjacent to the wire that runs the broadband hub. I have a simple plug-in dual-socket in order to run an extension to a second phone upstairs. Both phones are decades old, but I can't see how they would both fail at the same time.

Curiously, on the day I think my landline stopped working I got an e-mail from Virgin telling me that my landline would stop working on 18th May as I was switched over to your fibre network. I don't suppose it's possible someone turned off my landline early, is it?

The landline hasn't been turned off don't worry 🙂 the 18th May migration would be the next thing we'd discuss. 

I will send you a PM though now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi @Pete0223 

Thanks for joining me on PM and confirming your details so I can book in the technician visit for the issue with the telephone. The visit will be viewable shortly in your online account - virg.in/myVM - where you can cancel/amend if needed.
There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment
Let us know how the visit goes and do also pop back if you ever need further assistance.

John_GS
Forum Team