cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make outgoing calls on landline

JaneyJ
On our wavelength

Made a couple of calls on my landline this morning then when I next tried I had a recorded message saying

"Oops, you may want to check that number"

Tried all of my landline phones and they are all the same. Strange thing is that I can call my mobile phone (which is with a different provider) and it gets through.  

When I rang Virgin Media to report it he said he had received a few calls today with the same problem. Then he tells me he is sending a technician round tonight. I thought that was a bit odd. Then I had a confirmation text message to say the appointment was for tomorrow and I would be charged £25. I promptly cancelled it. 

I don't think the problem lies within my property and I would therefore like someone to look into this.

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JaneyJ,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

There is no charge for fault visits, we do however advise that if the issue is found not to be Virgin Medias fault, for example your equipment is at fault, then a charge would be applied. 

If you'd like me to re-book the fault appointment please let me know.

Alex_Rm

JaneyJ
On our wavelength

Thank you for your answer. I'll leave it for now but will see how it is tomorrow.

No worries JaneyJ, please keep us posted with how you get on 🙂

Alex_Rm

JaneyJ
On our wavelength

Hi Alex

Just an update for you. I decided to try some various things and discovered:-

I can make and receive calls to/from my landline to any other VM landline. I can call any mobile number (inc. non VM numbers). I cannot make or receive calls from any landline that is not VM!

Last night I spent 2 hours on the phone to VM tech people and between us we tried everything. Different handsets, I even made a few calls so the tech guy could hear what was going on (with the " Ooops you may want to check that number " response on a non VM number. He also tried calling various numbers from his end and got the same problem. 

So now they are going to try and replicate the problem behind the scenes so they can investigate further. All very strange! So I'll wait and see what the problem turns out to be.

Thanks for the update JaneyJ 🙂

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of whatever is causing the issue.

Alex_Rm