cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of my landline number to Virgin Media

Smartguy
Joining in

Hello, today I’ve just signed up for a broadband deal with Virgin Media online and I want to transfer my landline number from my current broadband provider to Virgin Media. Having been advised that Virgin Media doesn’t contact current providers to cancel contracts, I phoned my current broadband provider to cancel my contract and was given two options 1. They could cancel my contract but I would loose my current landline number and wouldn’t be able to use it else where 2. They would require Virgin Media to contact them (my current provider) to advise them that I was leaving and that Virgin Media required the transfer of my current landline number. I’m currently unsure of what to do to close my current broadband account and retain my landline number with Virgin Media, I’ve tried contacting Virgin Media by phone (unsuccessfully). Could you possibly advise me of the way forward for this issue. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

TableTop
Up to speed

What you are asking for is called a ‘number port’, now the most critical thing about this is that for a port to work, the number absolutely has to be active and working, and secondly, there can’t even be any pending disconnection or cease notice against it, even if the disconnection date is sometime in the future.

Unlike the majority of providers, VM don’t deliver the broadband via the phone cable, and neither do they require you to even have a phone line and number. However the onus is always on the ‘gaining provider’, ie VM in this case to do the necessary. So what you could do is allow VM to connect you up as per regarding the broadband (do you have an installation date yet), when they arrange the number port, that, by necessity will also terminate your current phone line and the broadband connection that uses it.

You ‘could’ contact your current provider and cancel the broadband part of your contract as long as the phone line itself remains working. However, I wouldn’t advise that, as should the VM install get delayed (read through a few posts in the Setup section of the forum), then you will find yourself with no BB connection at all. Since you don’t pay VM until such time as it is all up and running, at worse, you may find yourself overlapping and paying for broadband for a month, possibly worth it to avoid complete disconnection.

Either VM connect you up, arrange the number port and all is good, or they don’t - either way, you aren’t without any service.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Smartguy,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your number transfer over to Virgin Media, I can arrange for the number to be transferred over from your other provider but we would need to keep the number active, once the port is completed, the number will be fully disconnected with your previous operator but you would need to cancel your other services with the provider yourself. If you'd like me to arrange the number transfer for you, please respond to my private message and we can the order raised. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Thank you TableTop for a very detailed, clear and understandable response to my query regarding the transfer of my current landline number to Virgin Media, it’s much appreciated.