cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 weeks no working landline.

Chislee147
Tuning in

Anyone expert enough to know the answer to this dilemma I’m facing. 
it’s been 3 weeks with no working home phone. I have a dial tone but cannot make or receive calls. In that 3 weeks two different Virgin technicians have visited my property & both have informed Virgin that there are no faults within my property, they even changed my Hub. That should have meant the the Virgin team were looking into the problem being at their end I would have assumed. Anyway the latest thing was yesterday(Friday) after me calling Virgin yet AGAIN to try get some answers a second line team member informed me that they had ran tests from their end & the only thing they could see was something to do with the R E N. The person suggested I try a new handset. So I went & paid £50 for a brand new handset in my heart knowing this was not going to fix the problem & as I suspected it made no difference. I called Virgin back from my mobile & asked to speak to the second line team to let them know that the new handset had not fixed the problem, during the call I was disconnected & the Virgin employee did not call me back. I am at a complete loss as to what I’m supposed to do now when two different technicians have stated the problem is NOT at my property & Virgin are trying to tell me they don’t see a problem at their end. I have a 90 year old man in this home who needs a working home phone, I’ve also had to buy a mobile for that person incase they had to call an ambulance while I’m out but of course using a new mobile is not easy for a 90 year old with poor eye sight. This is also now taking a toll on my health. 
     Even before I went out to buy a new handset yesterday I didn’t think that could be the problem & this is why. If the problem was the handset then I could understand me not being able to call out despite the fact I’ve got a dial tone & I could understand that my handset would not ring in my home when somebody tried to call it but if for instance you called my number YOU would still expect to hear it ringing while you waited for me to pick up my phone, however anyone that calls my home number does NOT hear ringing they immediate here the words THIS NUMBER IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. I am no expert but that to me sounds like the problem is something to do with the way Virgin routs calls. Can ANYONE explain to me what they believe this problem is? My phone is connected directly into my Hub 4 as it has been for the 3 years I’ve been a Virgin customer. The only other note worthy thing for you problem solvers to know is that about three weeks ago the light ring on my hub flashed red, followed by green before it then when back to its usual colour. I have NEVER had the red flashing light before, When I looked on line as to what that meant it states that it means an issue with the telephone system & the green flashing light is downloading a software update. Since then NO WORKING HOME PHONE. I am really hoping somebody can explain the problem as I’m at my wits end. 

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I would say the gist of your own diagnosis sounds correct IMHO. You have a physical connection but calls to your number are not being routed to your line.

The nonsense explanation about REN is regularly mentioned on here. It must be the last item on the call handlers' fault-finding script/screen when they have run out of other choices. Many people, in topics on here, have bought new phones needlessly.

If you have bought a new phone and had two tech visits, this sounds like it is something most-likely that has to be solved remotely by VM.

Unfortunately, similar past topics suggest you might be in for a long wait. This recent one comes to mind (74+ days to resolve)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/No-landline-service-for-22-days-and-counting/td-p/52...

While waiting for VM, keep good notes and records of all VM's bungling attempts to fix the problem as you will be entitled to compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

One of the VM forum team will reply here in due course and should (probably) offer to help.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Chislee147,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear of the landline issues that you've been experiencing recently. I can see from another forum thread that you've posted that you've been discussing this with one of my colleagues, and that you were invited in to discuss this via private message. Please respond to the last message they've sent you there and they'll be able to assist and advise further.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Yes I have but as nobody at Virgin seems able to explain the issue figured I’d see if somebody in the community may know the problem based in similiar experience. 

Hi @Chislee147,

Thank you for the prompt response. If you've replied to their last message there then I assure you that you'll receive a further response to assist you in due course.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!