cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting some pretty whacky latency spikes?

Broshida
Joining in

Hey, long time no see. Lately we've been experiencing some weird latency spikes and drops in download speeds. Dropping as far as 0.15mb which...isn't ideal aha. It's very intermittent, maybe occurring 3-4 times a day. Sometimes it lasts seconds, sometimes it lasts on-and-off for about 30 minutes before returning to normal.

There's been no new connections or devices. Everything seems to be normal. Just very odd latency spikes outta nowhere every now and again. It's enough to affect game performance significantly (Diablo IV always online rip).

Here's a link to my live broadband graph.  I should mention we're using an ASUS router with our Virgin Hub in Modem Mode. Also all on wired connections so it isn't a WiFi issue. 

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your BQM looks pretty good at the moment, just a couple of spikes that are quite normal.

For a better check you'll need to post the full Hub stats. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hey, sorry for the late response. Yeah, the BQM being good is what concerns me to be honest. At least then I'd kind of know what to blame. Things have only gotten worse since I posted last. 

I can't even access the VM hub. I've tried restarting it but still nothing. It's in modem mode. 

For some reason my (wired) speeds have been cut in half too. From 250mb to 90mb. My Asus AC86U shows nothing out of the ordinary in the technical log. I'm stumped. 

Broshida
Joining in

Just performed a factory reset. Access to the VM Hub is...intermittent. Sometimes it loads without issue, most times it'll fail to load at all. Managed to throw it back into modem mode after some fighting. Also reset/restarted the AC86U for good measure. Still stuck at 90mb down. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Very likely the link between the Hub and your router, or the one between the router and the measuring device, is only operating at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. Check them. 

What speeds do you get without the router, straight into the Hub? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Just checked the router & PC. Both are using 1Gbps. I'll have to check straight through the Hub later. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Latency looks better then most test speed by phone when its slow like that

---------------------------------------------------------------