cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I lose email access?

stuwho34
Joining in

Hi, to get a better deal I'm having to cancel the account which is in my wife's name, & open a new one in my name. Will I have a new email address & will that mean I lose access to my old email address? 

Cheers for any help.

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stuwho34 wrote:

Hi, to get a better deal I'm having to cancel the account which is in my wife's name, & open a new one in my name. Will I have a new email address & will that mean I lose access to my old email address? 

Cheers for any help.

Yes, when you cease to be a virgin media broadband customer any email accounts associated with it are closed down 90 days after the end of the contract.  This is set out in the Terms & Conditions.

Since May 2022 VM no longer offer an email facility to new customers so you will need to create a third party email address to use going forward.  Indeed you will need one in any case to use as the username for your new Virgin Media account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I called them today & they said I wouldn't lose it. They said emails are always free & I didn't even need an account to access it.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don't believe a word of what they told you on the phone support line.  Yes, the email account is a free add on provided by VM to their broadband customers who signed up prior to May 2022, however once the account is closed the email address is deleted.  Sometimes it goes on beyond the 90 days stated in the T&Cs but you can't rely on that.

There is an outside chance that a process called Move and Transfer could be used to move the email addresses from the old account to the new account.  However the criteria are tight and usually require the old and new accounts to be in the same customer name. 

The VM Forum Team should be able to advise further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @stuwho34

Thank you for your post and I am sorry for any confusion in regards to your emails. @Graham_A is correct. I can see if we can do a move and transfer for you. I will pop you over a PM and take a look, just keep your eye out for the little envelope 📩👀.
Thanks,

Zoie