cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneakily Migrated into Gmail against my wishes

HangryMonkey
Joining in

Dear VM, why have you sneakily migrated my virginmedia account into Gmail? All I wanted was to get an app password generated to put Outlook mobile onto a mobile. I put in an alternative non virginmedia mail to send an authorization to (Gmail) and bingo.......my whole virginmedia account has migrated to Gmail. But with no e-mail history. Now it's locked me out of webmail via virginmedia.com......... inspite of what is stated on your websites as it sill being able to be logged onto. I am effectively locked out of an account with 20+ years of emails on it. WHYYYYYYYY?????? I don't want to spend days and weeks going through all my internet accounts updating them to send to gmail, likewise all my personal mail contacts, all government agencies etc etc etc. Can this migration possibly be UNDONE?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HangryMonkey Your Virginmedia email address has not been migrated to Gmail by VM at all.  They have no power to do that.  What has happened is that you have changed the login username for the account to a Gmail address.  To access the underlying virgin media email account via VM webmail you need to log in with the Gmail address as the username and your VM account password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HangryMonkey Your Virginmedia email address has not been migrated to Gmail by VM at all.  They have no power to do that.  What has happened is that you have changed the login username for the account to a Gmail address.  To access the underlying virgin media email account via VM webmail you need to log in with the Gmail address as the username and your VM account password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham, thanks for the help. I've been fiddling around with it for an hour and you're 100% correct. But I cant figure out the logic behind logging into a VM account using a gmail ID. If it aint broke, dont fix it comes to mind. I thought it had migrated me because it pushed me to gmail upon logging in at first sign up/ verification.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HangryMonkey Some explanation can be found here https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address