cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem adding ntlworld email to android phone

Garry-O
Tuning in

I have recently changed my phone to a Google Pixel 7 and assumed that all settings would transfer automatically.  Unfortunately, this only applies to gmail accounts so I can no longer see my ntlworld emails.  I have tried adding a new account to the Outlook app on the phone but my username and/or password are not recognised.  I can't find any useful information on the VM website.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Garry-O  I have moved this thread to the Email forum as it is a more appropriate place for the subject.  Also the VM Forum Staff will be able to assist from here if necessary.

Recently Virgin Media have been beefing up their account security rules and this means that each My Virgin Media account will now have to have a third party email address set as the username.  This will allow verification messages for password changes etc to be sent to the third party address.

This is what you are coming up again when trying to generate the app password.  Changing the sign in username does not alter the underlying email address which will continue to function.  The only difference will be that you use the third party email address as the username for the My Virgin Media account and if you want to access the VM email address via the VM Webmail page.

Once the username has been changed and the app password has been generated you should continue to use the VM email address and the app password as the credentials for setting up the email address in an email app on your phone.

As you have found latest change is not well documented in the VM help pages.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Garry-O  All the information you need can be found via this link:

How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help  - particularly the section 'How to set up emails on a device'

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I can't follow the instructions in the link you have provided, as I don't see "Manage you Virgin Media Mail app password".  Is there a number at Virgin I can call to get some assistance?  I have tried selecting "edit" next to email password but I just get a QR code and I have no idea what I am supposed to do with that.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try using this link: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/mail-settings

Thanks Graham.  I am now horribly confused.  I started following the instructions to set up an app password but was shown a screen telling me that I needed to set up a new non-Virgin email account.  This process is complete nonsene to me and I really don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.  I don't want to start something which I can't then undo and find that I've lost everything because I've made an error.  Because I don't understand the process, I am very concerned that this is going to go horribly wrong.  I will either have to find another email provider or accept that I can't see my emails on my phone.  I find the Virgin website very unfriendly and confusing, much more so than it was in the past.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Garry-O  I have moved this thread to the Email forum as it is a more appropriate place for the subject.  Also the VM Forum Staff will be able to assist from here if necessary.

Recently Virgin Media have been beefing up their account security rules and this means that each My Virgin Media account will now have to have a third party email address set as the username.  This will allow verification messages for password changes etc to be sent to the third party address.

This is what you are coming up again when trying to generate the app password.  Changing the sign in username does not alter the underlying email address which will continue to function.  The only difference will be that you use the third party email address as the username for the My Virgin Media account and if you want to access the VM email address via the VM Webmail page.

Once the username has been changed and the app password has been generated you should continue to use the VM email address and the app password as the credentials for setting up the email address in an email app on your phone.

As you have found latest change is not well documented in the VM help pages.

Many thanks Graham.  Your information is much more digestible than Virgin's own!

Garry

SuzyQ_68
Just joined

I have the same problem.  About to see if the help above works.  Not tech savvy at all.  Did you succeed Garry-O?

Hey SuzyQ_68, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this , also a warm welcome to the community.

Did the above help at all? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?