cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Mail update to MS Outlook

CSSK
Joining in

Hi,

I am having to update from the basic MS Mail app to MS Outlook on my laptop. I have had an nltworld email for over 20 years so you can imagine how many people this is registered with (and of course I don't have that full list!).  I understand Virgin no longer support email.

I have figured out I need to set up an App generated password to obtain an IMAP password but need to enter another email address for this.  I don't have an autoforward or "out of office message" option in my ntlworld MS Mail account.

What will happen to the emails that are sent to the ntlworld address? Will I now receive all ntlworld emails to the second email address on my phone?

When I open MS outlook on my laptop which emails will I get just the ntlworld ones or will it include the other account?

I am concerned if I go ahead with this I will lose access to all my current ntlworld emails and may not receive new ones sent to the ntlworld address.

I am in the process of changing the ntlworld email address held by the important contacts I need to notify but need longer to fully extract myself from this old address.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CSSK VM continue to support emails addresses that are tied to current VM broadband accounts.

You can read about the username change requirement here: https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

The new username is only used for signing in to your My VM account and for VM webmail.  Using an email client such as MS Outlook the username for the email address remains the full Ntlworld email address and the password is the app generated one.  Email sent to your Ntlworld email address will continue to be received in the Ntlworld mailbox.  Email sent to your third party username address will go the the third party mailbox as that remains entirely separate from the Ntlworld email mailbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CSSK VM continue to support emails addresses that are tied to current VM broadband accounts.

You can read about the username change requirement here: https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

The new username is only used for signing in to your My VM account and for VM webmail.  Using an email client such as MS Outlook the username for the email address remains the full Ntlworld email address and the password is the app generated one.  Email sent to your Ntlworld email address will continue to be received in the Ntlworld mailbox.  Email sent to your third party username address will go the the third party mailbox as that remains entirely separate from the Ntlworld email mailbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CSSK
Joining in

Thank you Graham, really appreciate the clarification.   I was hoping this was the case, concerns started after reading others experiences recently with VM and email, especially old ones!