cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upgraded to 1Gb but getting 500mb speeds

McTabish
Joining in

I am having the same issue. I was on 500mbps before, and used to get around 450mbps. I cancelled my contract and just before my Sky install I was offered 1000mbps to stay with Virgin... I stayed and got the new hub... but I am still getting only around 200-450mpbs. Its as if the new speeds have not been activated as its literally no different and was the only reason I stayed and didn't just move to Sky and have cheaper 500mpbs with them. Lucky I am in my 14 days still so I might just cancel and still move to Sky anyway if its not resolved.

64 REPLIES 64

@BSquad,    the 1149 Hub and 432 situation is caused by the computer not drawing data any faster.

Boot the computer into Safe Mode + Networking and see what the hardware can do with the OS software and applications reduced to the bare minimum.

If the improvement is marked, then it time to start a prune of all the bloatware on the computer.

JBeneng
Joining in

I have same issue they sent me hun 5 after try 3/4 different routers went back down to hub 4 now I’m getting 500mbps but being charged for 1gb - might cancel as they only set up today and within 14 days 

Hey JBeneng, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some connection issues.

The speeds you get at home will, of course, depend on a variety of factors, it depends on your package, what and how many devices you have, how they are connected amongst other things.
We do have a download speed guarantee though - this will show the minimum speed we would expect for all our packages - you can take a look at that here:.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

mmmmie
Joining in

I am having the same issue, I'm using hub 4 and a cat8 ethernet cable and I have a 2.5g adapter on my motherboard. However I am only getting around 500mbps, and I have never once hit 1gbps in the past year since I've been with virgin media. The upload speed seems to fulfill the promise, around 100mbps. Please help, thank you.

@mmmmie wrote:

I am having the same issue, I'm using hub 4 and a cat8 ethernet cable and I have a 2.5g adapter on my motherboard. However I am only getting around 500mbps, and I have never once hit 1gbps in the past year since I've been with virgin media. The upload speed seems to fulfill the promise, around 100mbps. Please help, thank you.

You won't see more than 900 - 940Mbps since the HUB 4 ethernet ports are 1Gbps.

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

What happens if you speed test in safe mode with networking?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-with-networking/