cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upgraded to 1Gb but getting 500mb speeds

McTabish
Joining in

I am having the same issue. I was on 500mbps before, and used to get around 450mbps. I cancelled my contract and just before my Sky install I was offered 1000mbps to stay with Virgin... I stayed and got the new hub... but I am still getting only around 200-450mpbs. Its as if the new speeds have not been activated as its literally no different and was the only reason I stayed and didn't just move to Sky and have cheaper 500mpbs with them. Lucky I am in my 14 days still so I might just cancel and still move to Sky anyway if its not resolved.

64 REPLIES 64

@jamierawlings wrote:

I also received that response earlier in the year. The frustrating thing with that however, is that other users are on the 600/40 Mbps service, and are getting over 600Mbps, however we are on the 1Gb service and getting less than 600Mbps. 
(I tested this by taking the same devices to my Dads house and connecting them to his Hub5 - before I had mine upgraded).

I was even advised by one engineer to downgrade to the lower service. That’s really not the point when you are subscribed to the 1Gb service.

And I do appreciate your point, but I suspect that the engineer had the right idea. If you subscribe to VM's Gig One service, then you can expect a download speed of anywhere between 500 and (about) 960 Mb/s, OFCOM do have rules regarding the percentage of customers whose speed has to be toward the upper end of that scale - but it may be that you, unfortunately, are just within the boundaries, and as such VM's (and to be fair, any other providers) position is along the lines of 'you're getting what you are entitled to, you did read and understand the small print, didn't you? So tough, suck it up and just carry on paying us the money each month - sucks to be you doesn't it?'

OK, they don't word it in those exact terms but the essence is the same.

So yes, downgrade, you will get no worse a service but be paying less money.

I agree; and when I took out the service I had realistic expectations of around 700Mbps on wifi on modern devices close to the hub.

Since I switched from hub4 to hub5, I now achieve that expectation. As I say, my previous frustration was the fact that I was getting half of what I signed up for, and that just wasn’t right.

Hi .@David_Bn  So today I connect my laptop by cable to a hub and results is more unsatisfactory than connecting by WiFi. I Notice VirginMedia blocked samknows.com so I used a speedtest.net

IMG_20221123_150436_1_11zon.jpgIMG_20221123_150413_1_11zon.jpg IMG_20221123_150431_1_11zon.jpg

I reupload images cuz last one is blocked cuz my IP is visible on image.
compress.IMG_20221124_134938.jpg compress.IMG_20221124_134840.jpg

Thanks for the reply @Jack284.

I'm sorry to hear the speeds aren't any better 😞
May I ask what the speeds were on the wired connection in comparison to the Wi-Fi connection?
What was the results on speedtest.net ?

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes, no problem. SamKnows start working so there is a screenshoot from 2 pages connected by WiFi
Screen Shot 11-30-22 at 02.54 PM.JPG

Hi Jack284

Thanks for your reply on the forums in regards to your slow WIFI speeds, I am sorry that you're not happy with the speed you're getting over WIFI. 

Speeds over WIFI are always slower than using an ethernet cable due to the nature of WIFI signals and interference within the home. 

Have you tried to use the Connect App to see if you have any WIFI black spots and if WIFI pods may be useful for you? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan_L

?? I don't know I talking with a bots ? On my 1st pictures, you can see I have worst speed connected by ethernet cable THAN on second pictures where is connected by WIFI (my wifi is better than connected by cable). Your asnwer:"Speeds over WIFI are always slower than using an ethernet cable"

U serious ? Maybe my english is not that perfect what u would like but is rly comunicative.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jack284,

Thank you for coming back to us about your ongoing issue. Sorry to see that this problem is still impacting you.

I've taken a look at our systems and I can see that there are some downstream power level issues impacting your services. In order to have this rectified as soon as possible, we'd need to arrange for a technician appointment as we're unable to rectify this issue remotely. 

I'll send you a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jack284,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for ongoing speed issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team