Menu
Eyeloose
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 base light solid red (modem mode)

Hi All,

I installed my new superhub 3 last night as per the instructions and internet activity all seems fine. The issue I am seeing is that the base light is a solid red (as in red like the VM logo) when I run in modem mode, yet internet is still fine.

From the VM troubleshooting, it usually means the device is overheating, but that area of the room is ~21c (yes, I checked). It has a clear space either side of the hub and at least 10 inches behind so it is well ventilated. If I disable Modem Mode Only, I do get the off-white/pinky/magenta base light. I then enable Modem Mode and get the solid red light again.

I have also tried a couple of restarts and also a reset using the pin hole but same results each time. Like I said, the internet runs fine so I'm hoping it is just a software bug but I'm a little cautious that the light might indicate a problem that could cause damage to the modem.

I would call VM but with the current situation, there are probably bigger fish to fry than an led showing as red.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Eyeloose

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub 3 base light solid red (modem mode)

Hello

It is really difficult to tell the colour of the light I myself run in modem only mode and although it looks red it is actually meant to be magenta.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paul_262
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

Yes all is fine with your red light, your modem is lit up correctly for modem mode,hope this puts your mind at rest, cheers 

Paul

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Eyeloose
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

It is really difficult to tell the colour of the light I myself run in modem only mode and although it looks red it is actually meant to be magenta.

Regards Mike

Thanks DJ Shadow1966, I did think about taking a photo of the light but realised that was a little over the top for a minor issue 🙂

@Paul_262 wrote:

Hi

Yes all is fine with your red light, your modem is lit up correctly for modem mode,hope this puts your mind at rest, cheers 

Paul

Thaks Paul_262, glad to know this is normal functionality. Everyone else I know had been telling me it looks like something was wrong! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the light in modem mode is magenta. red is normally a fault but the most common fault is the LED not missing the colours right 🙂

If its working its must likey meant to be magenta
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just out of interest can you post your H/W and S/W versions.

You'll need to login and go to the Admin->Info section.

Mine shows...

Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.1811.401

Also, I'm guessing the magenta colour is produced with two LEDs - one red and one blue. It could be the blue one is faulty.

0 Kudos
Eyeloose
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eeeps,

Mine shows up like yours (not sure how you format via mobile);

Hardware version : 10

Software version : 9.1.1811.401

It shows a magenta colour when in normal superhub mode. Just a little weird but I'm just not going to look at the hub. Out of sight, out of mind! 🙂

0 Kudos
cloudink
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I thought mine was overheating because the light was red when in modem mode, I assume that's not the case?

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If light is red and it's in router mode it could be overheating. 

If light is not red and it's in modem mode it could have a problem. 

So if it's red, it's in modem mode and you have internet connectivity -> don't worry about it

0 Kudos