cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hive Hub won't connect to Internet

davem641
On our wavelength

We had a Virgin broadband outage for most of Saturday, and since then the Hive hub wont connect to the Internet. We get a constantly flashing green light, which means it's trying to get an Internet connection.

Our internet connection is working though, generally 40mbs - yes it's slow but is quite normal for us.

I tried resetting the hub, via a paperclip, but this didnt make the Hive hub connect.

I have Virgin Hub3 in modem mode, connected to a TP-Link wireless mesh via an ethernet cable. The TP-Link network sees the Hive Hub.

Any ideas what Virgin changed during the broadband outage?

49 REPLIES 49

Hi @davem641,

Is it purely the Hive that won't connect? If so, this suggests the issue is with the third party device. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

davem641
On our wavelength

Hi Ayisha

If the Hive Hub doesnt connect, does this mean the problem is for sure Hive?

Do you agree it could be possible it's the Virgin Hub at fault?

Without any attempt to diagnose this, it's all just guess work. Could you ask one of your engineers to look at my problem?

I could buy a replacement Hive Hub but it might not work ... what then?

Hi Dave 👋.

Thanks for coming back to us. Are you still facing the same issue with your Hive Hub since you posted this? 

Please let us know so we can advise accordingly.

Sabrina

davem641
On our wavelength

Hi Sabrina

Yes same issue. I want to know why the Hive Hub won't connect to the Internet. Is it because it's broken, or is it because of a problem with the Virgin Hub3 or the broadband connection? Is it possible to work this out by Virgin running diagnostics on my set up?

Many thanks

Dave

swampy46
On our wavelength

I have the same problem

2 weeks ago My internet went off and when It came back on my third party router has problems getting internet now . It's temperamental now

Some days the router works with the hub in modem mode  some days like today it's not

I had to put the virgin hub back into normal mode today get the internet back on

At first I thought It was a problem with my router so i purchased another router but the same thing keeps happening ...... 3 routers I have at home now testing happens to all of them.  keeps losing interent.

Strange thing is a couple of times the routers wifi will still work but the LAN ports will not ..

I'm using my Linkys ea9500 router connected to the hub in modem mode for years with no problem till couple weeks ago

Seems as if Virgin has changed something to not make my routers work propley anymore

I did phone Virgin last week and they said monitoring my connection ...then few days later had a text message saying it all looks fine but its not as my router stopped receiving internet again last night ..so I had to go back to the hub in normal mode for now for my wifi

But the thing is i need my 3rd party router as I have much better wifi coverage for my sercurity cameras ...these are off line now as virgin hub can't connect to them not good for coverage

davem641
On our wavelength

I dont see this problem getting fixed. Unless Virgin investigate it further.

Or after the Virgin contract expires, then I can switch to another provider that will support Hive.

Thanks for coming back to us @davem641.

Can you please confirm if you have raised this with Hive, to see if they have any workarounds, or are aware of any issues?

How has the hub performed when placed in router mode?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

davem641
On our wavelength

Hi David

Yes have raised with Hive. They think it's either Virgin Hub problem or the Hive Hub is broken.

With the Virgin Hub in router mode the problem persists.

thanks

Dave

davem641
On our wavelength

Hive say they can see that the Hive Hub is connected to the Virgin Hub, but it's not connecting to the Internet. They cant tell why and cant diagnose any further.

Would be great if Virgin could diagnose the Virgin Hub and search for a reason, but I've asked for ages and seems unlikely.

I cant use Hive with Virgin broadband

Hi davem641,

Sorry to see you have been unable to get this resolved by speaking to the manufacturer, have you tired Hive's help forums to see if anyone else has faced the same issue?

Regards

Paul.