cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if one of these is the cable for broadband

flod
Tuning in

I've moved to a new flat, the agent said there is already Virgin media connections here and the Virgin media customer services said the flat should already be setup. However, this flat is in a HMO with many studio flats in one building. 

There is no box on the wall which looks like the below (this photo was taken at some other property):

wall socket.jpeg

However, I found 3 cables coming from a hole in the wall shown below:

1.jpg

The hole in the wall where these cables are located is right next to the television.
Is it likely that one of these is the broadband connection that plugs into the hub?
One of the cables originally had this adaptor attached to it, not sure if that provides any additional clues;
2.jpg

I haven't received my hub package yet so I can't test, just wanted to make sure I have a broadband connection in here.

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should try the cable/plug trailing from the wall in photo 2 with the black band on the metal connector (probably marked Cablecon, the same plug out of focus in the background of photo3), you will need a coupler adapter to join two plugs together

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-coaxial-connector-19mm/5028422001905_BQ.prd

Also available from the likes of Screwfix, Homebase, Toolstation etc.

If you post some more photos of how that cable is presented, then it might be clearer how best to connect it.

You might be able to connect that cable direct to the VM hub BUT you would need to be sure there was an isolator component somewhere in the connection before trying that.

If you use the B&Q adapter mentioned above, you can use the cable from the Quick Start kit which does already have an isolator in line. The B&Q adapter is a screw fit connection, the Quick Start cables are push fit

Thank you!

Yes, that cable with the black band is labelled "Cablecon 3.9"

>>>If you post some more photos of how that cable is presented, then it might be clearer how best to connect it.

It's the cable at the bottom in the 2nd picture of original post, is there any particular detail that you would need to see? 
After the head of the cable shown in the picture, it's just a plain old white cable all the way down as far as I can tell

>>>You might be able to connect that cable direct to the VM hub BUT you would need to be sure there was an isolator component somewhere in the connection before trying that.

Any idea on how to establish if it has an isolator component? Also, what happens if you plug it in without one?

Thanks you

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The Amazon item you originally posted (then removed from the post immediately above) with the F-connector coupler is the same thing if you happen to have that already. They are generic parts. Try with the adapters you have when you get the VM equipment delivered.

If your adapter screws into the Cablecon connector OK, use that and push-fit the lead from your Quick Start kit onto the end of it.

Ok thanks, yeah I removed the Amazon link because I got confused for a second and thought I might have ordered the wrong ones. I don't currently have those adaptors but they will be delivered tomorrow, glad to hear they are the correct ones.

For reference to anyone else who stumbles on this post I got it from here, they are the ones on the bottom right of the main picture: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09XB68QZ9/

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The two adapters from that pack (bottom RHS of first photo) should be suitable to join two existing VM plugs together. The four plug shells from the kit would not be suitable for making a reliable VM connection though. A proper crimp tool, and a suitable crimp plug, should be used for fitting a plug to a cable for use with VM to give a solid and reliable connection.

flod
Tuning in

Ok, I've got my VM hub and I've used those adaptors to connect the Cablecon cable to the cable provided in the VM package and connected that to the hub. Shown below

IMG_20231212_120129012.jpg

However, the Hub doesn't seem to get a connection, the Wifi symbol is green but there has been a green flashing light at the bottom of the hub for more than 30 minutes.

Any ideas what to do from here?

btw I traced the Cablecon cable and it goes along the skirting and then in to a hole in the wall which goes outside the flat somewhere unknown.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Two suggestions for flashing green lights below (no connection or activation required) depending on light patterns

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/First-installation-and-flashing-green-lig...

Further light options here for different hub types

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/virgin-media-wifi-not-working

Thanks yeah I had a look at that, unfortunately it's just the bottom light that's flashing with a solid wifi symbol, no other symbols have been displayed which suggests it's not an activation issue. Had a convo with support and they're sending a technician around tomorrow. 

flod
Tuning in

Turned out the tech needed to restore the connection outside the flat, all sorted now 👍