cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical errors in Network Log, Broadband failure

copperwheatm
Joining in

IMG_1022.png

Despite several visits to local service box, replaced router and visit to our house Virgin seem unable to simply read the Network Log and fix the problem.

Engineer says everything is fine but continued errors and failing broadband.

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi copperwheatm 

You need to repost the network logs, this time as text so all system can redact the MAC addresses.

It would also be useful if you posted (as text) the information from the Downstream and Upstream pages.

Is the failing broadband dropped connections or speeds? and is this on wired or wireless connections?

You should also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @copperwheatm,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're facing some connection issues recently. I've just checked over things on our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults to explain this currently. Are these issues ongoing for you today?

If they are, I can see that @newapollo has offered some advice. Would you be able to follow that and provide a live BQM so we can see your connection in real-time?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach, thanks for your reply.  You say that you have "checked things on your systems", however this seems inconsistent with what I and my neighbours have experienced over recent weeks:

• At least two visits by engineers to the area to investigate & repair network faults - I & neighbours received texts from Virgin, however the Virgin contact desk were unable to describe the purpose of these visits or whether they were related to the actual issues we are/were experiencing
  • Even a cursory view of the Network Log on the routers (the original device and the replacement from last week) contain numerous Warning & Critical entries.  The Virgin engineer and the forums are all in agreement that these errors relate to external factors outside our houses.
  • In addition, the date-stamping of these events is consistently incorrect - at the time of writing (10:50am) there are numerous events quoting times after 12:20pm today!  I'm no expert in WAN networking but I do know that mismatched time/time sources is never a good thing: how can this be ok?

The purpose in raising this entry in the Forum was to find a way to communicate with Virgin effectively - I have made several calls to your contact desk, who were unaware of the issues in the locality; I have had an engineer visit cancelled because Virgin said "all was fixed" (it wasn't)...when an engineer finally arrived, he could see that issues had occurred on the network but was unable to resolve the events in the  Network Log.  As a result he said he had arranged for engineers to visit the locality (again) to fix the external issues, however it is impossible to find out more - see above comments re contact desk.

Simply - I'd like you to join up the silo'd functions in Virgin (contact desk, domestic engineers, cable engineers, etc) and come back with a solution.  I have upgraded to full fibre with Virgin, but this hasn't helped - still on coax!

I would appreciate a call once you have established the facts and have a plan.

Regards

Martyn