cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet not working properly, can't get through to support

dafino
Joining in

Internet has been intermittently dropping on all my devices pretty much since I've been with Virgin Media for about two months. I had numerous calls with customer service trying to sort it out, they sent me the wifi pods, that hasn't helped. They finally put me through to the actual technical support team on about my 5th call, that team "sent hits" to my router (whatever that means) promising that would sort it out. It hasn't, and now I'm not able to get through to anyone on the phone, it just offers me text updates for the service status in my local area. Hoping someone on here from tech support can sort this issue out for me.

thanks

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I assume that no issues are being reported on the automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level  are there any ?

If not... then firstly can you clarify... are your issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

dafino
Joining in
Actually on that number it's saying there are local issues - when I did the online troubleshooting it said there weren't. However the issues I've been having have been going on consistently for two months now. At times during that period there do seem to have been local issues but my problems have been the same regardless of whether there are or not. There's no indication of an expected fix time for the local issues and based on previous experience my issues will still likely be there afterwards. Sitting tight indefinitely and hoping for a different outcome this time doesn't really seem like an appropriate solution.

Regarding the wifi vs ethernet question it's going to be pretty hard to tell, as the problem is intermittent and it doesn't seem to affect all devices at the same time - eg internet is working fine on my PC but not my tablet or vice versa (both on wifi). So even if I worked plugged into the router for two days solid without any problems, it wouldn't confirm anything for sure. We also occasionally go a few days without a problem. With a complete lack of technical knowledge, I am wondering whether somehow the router isn't sharing out the internet signal evenly between all connected devices or something like that.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For info...  known faults may not be listed on the Area Status web page because Areas are not Geographic” they are "legacy billing" areas) and as such that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers all across the country. So the 0800 may give you more info, on local issues - say at street cab level - but even that wouldnt cover problems affecting just a few customers - or just you.

So there is little you can do until its resolved.   Strange that there is no estimated fix date... but when a VM person gets here in a day or so they can give you some more information

If you connect a device (computer) by ethernet cable and it remains connected fine for all that time whilst at the same time wifi connections drop randomly on some devices then you know your issue is not network connection related - its entirely a wifi only issue that needs exploring.  If the computer drops at exactly the same times then you know for sure its a network connection issue.  This may or may not be due to the known network issue.

In the meantime do a quick check that all of your coax and ethernet cable connections are all in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no cable ends without a "terminator" cap. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. When its light, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables. Then switch the Hub back on and leave ~5 minutes 

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ok thanks for all the tips, I'll check that stuff. Hopefully someone who works for the company can pick this up soon and let me know what's going on

Hi dafino, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are connection issues and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. 

I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

dafino
Joining in

@Chris_W1 are you there? Answered your DM yesterday morning and still no response??

Hi dafino, thanks for the message and PM. 

I am glad to see this is on the way to becoming resolved, please let us know how it goes. 

Kind regards, Chris.