cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Phone

AM1807
Joining in

I have 2 questions re the new fibre phone:

1. I may choose not to accept the swap-over and go with a new provider for my landline. This is because I have a 91 year old parent who relies on my landline to speak to me as she doesn’t have a mobile phone and is quite deaf. I do not want to be in a position where she cannot get hold of me in an emergency (or vice versa) due to my Internet failing. I am currently tied into a contract and want to know if you will give me a fair deal for the remainder of the contract based on the fact that this is a change I haven’t asked for?

2. If I do decide to go with the fibre phone the paperwork states that I won’t be able to use it to dial out between the cut off date (23.03.23) and start of the new service (10.05.23)…..is this correct? This is almost 7 weeks where I am not able to use my phone?! If so, will you be reducing my charges to account for this?

2 REPLIES 2

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @AM1807 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you on the team. 

We are so sorry to hear that you are feeling let apprehensive amount the recent switchover. Just to let you know, this is a government initiated switch and it will be effecting all landlines with all providers with the expected final date to have all lines swapped being 2025. 

If services were needed during this time and they were cut off, you can reach out to us and we can arrange an engineer to take a look.

Thank you. 

jem101
Superstar

@AM1807 wrote:

I have 2 questions re the new fibre phone:

1. I may choose not to accept the swap-over and go with a new provider for my landline. This is because I have a 91 year old parent who relies on my landline to speak to me as she doesn’t have a mobile phone and is quite deaf. I do not want to be in a position where she cannot get hold of me in an emergency (or vice versa) due to my Internet failing. I am currently tied into a contract and want to know if you will give me a fair deal for the remainder of the contract based on the fact that this is a change I haven’t asked for?

Actually you may not be able to go with a new provider, every single provider is looking at completely migrating to some kind of internet based telephony by the final deadline of Dec 31st 2025. In September of this year, there is planned to be ‘national sell stop’, where no provider will sell a new conventional landline, on the grounds that it’ll only work for 27 months or so, before needing to be replaced. However, areas in which over 70% of the existing lines in the local exchange have been converted, there is already a ‘stop sell’ in place. Basically, depending on where you live, you may well not be able to get a conventional landline from any supplier at any price, and even if you do it’ll be a bit short lived.

2. If I do decide to go with the fibre phone the paperwork states that I won’t be able to use it to dial out between the cut off date (23.03.23) and start of the new service (10.05.23)…..is this correct? This is almost 7 weeks where I am not able to use my phone?! If so, will you be reducing my charges to account for this?

To be honest, I’ve not heard of this before, and does sound a bit like a complete misunderstanding on whoever told you. As far as I am aware, you are given a specific date on which the switchover will happen. On that date leave your phone connected to the normal socket and try it from time to time. If and when you get no dial tone, then plug it into the VM hub, (may need to reboot the hub to give it a kick), and it should work.