cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why are mail drafts being saved to my spam folder instead of my drafts folder

steve_bosley
Tuning in

A few weeks ago when replying to an email I got an error message window that said it could not find the previous email. I had to close that window and my reply was then lost.

When I checked my Drafts folder there was nothing in it so I had to retype the entire reply.

However, I happened to spot that the autosave draft was actually sitting in my Spam folder, and I was able to continue editing the reply and send it from there.

This is now happening all of the time - it seems I can replicate this at will (see screenshot). Yes If I speeded up and/or shortened my replies I could avoid it but (I think) it happened recently on a new mail I was creating. VM Email Error WindowVM Email Error Window

What is going on ?

Steve Bosley

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are other email clients (like Thunderbird or similar) used to access the affected email account? If they are then look there for possible explanation for this issue.

FYI: Virgin Media Mail (webmail) is a basic email client and, AFAIK, it does not retrospectively scan emails to determine if they are spam. Mis-assignment of Draft folder can be ruled out, i.e. Spam folder set to save draft emails, because Draft folder in your screenshot is still being displayed instead of appearing under My folders.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

steve_bosley
Tuning in

I access the same account on a Win10 Desktop through myvirginmedia and through the mail App on my Samsung S23 Galaxy. Neither have this problem. It only occurs on this Win 11 laptop where I am also using myvirginmedia to get to my email.

Not sure how you can rule out draft mis-assignment - in the screen shot I have tried to edit a reply that had already been dropped into the Spam folder so maybe that is confusing what happens.

So normally I receive an email, I hit reply and start to type. Every few(?) seconds the email client autosaves what I have typed (this is normal), but when I encounter this problem and go to look for the latest saved version in my drafts folder it is not there! Surprisingly (for me at least) I find it is in my Spam folder. Why is this happening is my question. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I know, if the draft folder is assigned to another folder then the actual Draft folder appears under My folders. To confirm its assignment in webmail:

• select ⚙ > Accounts > Edit (located adjacent to account name)
  • confirm Draft folder assigned, as highlighted below:
    2024-05-02.jpeg

steve_bosley
Tuning in

Good shout ... but that looks ok

steve_bosley
Tuning in

Looking back at the earlier reply...

Not sure how it can be relevant but I DO uniquely have Thunderbird installed on this laptop - BUT I DO NOT use it to connect to my Virginmedia account. Could it be interfering somehow ?

Steve

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No; for Thunderbird to interact with the account it would need to be setup in it.