cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in SamKnows RealSpeed to router

betaspin
On our wavelength

https://samknows.com/realspeed/ tests to my Hub 5x usually show download speeds of 1140-1142 Mbps (I am on the Gig1 Full Fibre package). However, since yesterday evening the tests to the hub struggle to achieve more than 250-300 Mbps. I have rebooted the hub a couple of times, including power off/on, but the realspeed downloads to the hub remain slow. I have spoken to Virginmedia support who could not notice anything on their end. Fast.com speeds have dropped from the usual >1Gbps to about 500 Mbps, and https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest is pitiful, 35 Mbps single thread and 230 Mbps multithreaded. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how to proceed (and convince Virginmedia to have a proper look at this) would be much appreciated. 

31 REPLIES 31

betaspin
On our wavelength

The slow download speeds are not limited to speed tests. I have just downloaded ubuntu-22.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso and the download speed was hovering between 30-35 MB/s which is way below the speed expected of the Gig1 package (1 Gbps is 125 MB/s). Could one of the VM staff members have a look into this, please?

Same here... downloads are either failing or taking an age. I'm having lot of issues updating local git repos and updating packages.

Spoke to VM second line again and they stated there was an issue in the area which has now been resolved, and as I'm still having issues they have booked an engineer visit for Monday morning. Don't they normally send out a text message when an engineer visit is booked(?) as I haven't received one. 

betaspin
On our wavelength

Just off the phone with VM hub 5x support. They ran a speed test on my hub 5x from their side, confirmed the low speed, asked me to do the pinhole factory reset, ran the speed test again and as there was no improvement, booked an engineer visit for Monday afternoon. They suggested that the hub 5x may need to be replaced. Also just received a text message confirming the booking. I hope that the engineer visit will help identify the problem, whatever and wherever it is. No issues in the area were mentioned during the call.  

TheMandalorian
Joining in

I’m also in the York area (YO31) and suffering the same. We are on gig1 but now we are down to 81.4 Mbps (SamKnows). I’ve watched it decline day by day! Our engineer visit was automatically cancelled and the contact centre staff informed us that this is automatic if there is an area fault.

So most likely it is the whole of York. My SamKnows RealSpeed is now 79.4 Mbps to the hub. Just checked the engineer appointment and it still has not been cancelled. 

CantStandVM
On our wavelength

5 days and counting and not even a hint of a virgin media forum employee weighing in on the matter. Obviously it'd be a total waste of time anyway because they wouldn't have a clue, but at least it would give the impression they were on it. 

About 2:30 ish in the morning (I was up with the baby) we lost the internet for 20 mins (router could also have restarted) and we are back to 1gig. Currently 1134 on SamKnows.

Same here. My logs show an outage between 2-2:30am and now my SamKnows results are back to normal (first time in almost 3 weeks):

AidyM_0-1713770482149.png

betaspin
On our wavelength

Fixed in YO23, as well. The hub 5x was not restarted though. Most likely, we shall never know what was wrong but some part of the VM network serving York could have been either restarted or updated.

My nest cameras logs show that the outage was between 2:19-2:28 am.  

Hi all,

Thank you for your posts. I'm very sorry to hear that some of you have been experiencing some issues with your services and broadband connection recently.

Is this ongoing for you today? If so, please can you confirm if your wired connection is also impacted or just wireless/Wi-Fi? Can you also confirm any diagnostics and troubleshooting you've performed thus far?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!