cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Pods - Ethernet Input for Backhaul

wheatleyroad
On our wavelength

Hi folks,

I'd like to use the Virgin Wifi Pods to extend my Wifi network. I have ethernet access to my Hub 3 router in the areas where I would like to extend the weak Wifi network using the Virgin Wifi Pods.

The problem is that the Virgin Wifi Pod cannot seem to utilise the wired ethernet connection to the Hub 3 and is relying on relaying the weak Wifi connection from the Hub 3. In other words, the pods do not seem to allow Ethernet Backhaul. The pods are rebranded Plume devices and the Plume website specifically recommends an ethernet connection to the pods, "Does Plume support Ethernet Backhaul? Absolutely. Plume supports Ethernet backhaul. This means you can set up multiple gateway pods by connecting them directly together via Ethernet to deliver the fastest possible performance to your devices."

Virgin seem to have disabled this feature and only support output from the Wifi Pod's ethernet port. Does anyone know why this is and can it be changed? It would be great if we could encourage Virgin to unlock this feature. 🤞

From reading on this forum, the Wifi Pod test group received pods with 2 ethernet ports that did offer Backhaul. However I have a single ethernet port pod as pictured below which would be so much more useful if Backhaul were enabled!

Virgin-Intelligent-WiFi-Pod-plug-1024x687

27 REPLIES 27

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"It would be great if we could encourage Virgin to unlock this feature. " highly unlikely that users will be able to unlock this feature. VM lockdown all their hubs and pods firmware in the misguided notion that it will make support easier if there are less options for users to ‘play’ with. That’s one of the reasons why I always recommend users to purchase their own networking equipment.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor it's such a useful feature to 'lock away'. I hope someone from VM will respond on here with some firm answers on if it is possible to enable ethernet backhaul on the pods. I've read elsewhere on the forum that VM technical support can unlock this feature. Just need some solid answers...

Hi wheatleyroad,

Although we do not typically highlight using the ethernet port as an option, the ethernet functionality within the VM-branded pods should work in the same way as retail Plume pods; providing backhaul between pod and hub and/or output based on the pod’s own connection. 

I've been advised if you can try the below-

*Pod: If you have more than 1 pod, attempt the ethernet backhaul with an alternative pod? This can help establish whether there is a fault with a specific pod

*Cable: Ensure ethernet cable is plugged into both pod and hub properly. Consider trying a different ethernet cable (ideally a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable to eliminate any throttling of speeds)

*Pod: Reboot pod and retry ethernet backhaul to see if there is any difference in performance

*Hub 3: Ensure Channel Optimisation is switched ‘on’ within Hub settings

*Hub 3: Reset Hub back to Factory Settings

Alex_Rm

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi wheatleyroad, thanks for your posts and replies.

We're sorry to hear of this confusion with our pods and how they work over ethernet:

Are you attempting this backhaul using a PowerPod (1 x Ethernet Port) or SuperPod (2 x Ethernet Port)?

If you're having issues, it would be appreciated if you could try the following (ideally in order):

1. Pod: If you have more than 1 pod, can you attempt the ethernet backhaul with an alternative pod? This can help establish whether there is a fault with a specific pod
  2. Cable: Ensure ethernet cable is plugged into both pod and hub properly. Consider trying a different ethernet cable (ideally a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable to eliminate any throttling of speeds)
  3. Pod: Reboot pod and retry ethernet backhaul to see if there is any difference in performance
  4. Hub 3: Ensure Channel Optimisation is switched ‘on’ within Hub settings
  5. Hub 3: Reset Hub back to Factory Settings
  6. Pod: If you're still experiencing issues at this point, a fault swap should be considered for the pod

Please, check the above and let us know if this is of help, once we got your feedback, we can take it from there.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Alex_RM and Adri_G ,

Thanks for both of your help thus far. We have success! 🎉

Cabling was all ok. Channel Optimisation is switched ‘on’ already. It was Step 6 of Adri_G's post which solved it in the end. I have 2 pods, and I swapped the pods over. The second pod automatically connected by ethernet backhaul after about 5 mins. I now have full speed in the garden office from the pod which is connected to my Hub 3 by Cat6 ethernet cable. Great to have it working and I'm pleased that we could get a firm answer and result on this topic; The single ethernet port VM rebranded Plume pods do support ethernet backhaul. 👌

In response to your question Adri, it is the single ethernet port device as pictured in my first post.

Alex_RM and Adri_G could you replace the faulty pod please? Happy to share my details in DM.

Alex_RM sorry mistake in my last post. Your post firstly mentioned swapping pods over 👍. I only had 1 pod at that time so had to skip that step.

Hey wheatleyroad, thank you for confirming this and I am sorry to see your pod is faulty, I will send you a PM now.

Please can you look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hello Adri_G,

I wonder if you can help me please. I have the same issue. My garden office has ethernet port which is connected to Virgin Hub via PoE switch. I have a single Ethernet port VM WiFi Pod. I have plugged it in the garden office. I have connected ethernet cable coming from the switch. But I'm unable to get any WiFi from the pod. The white light keeps blinking forever. 

The pod was initially setup near my router and was giving good WiFi. I have now brought it in my garden office to create a backhaul but its not working for me. I have tried first 5 steps above.

jeremymorgan
Tuning in

@schikani

When you set it up initially did you connect it to the Virgin router with a cable?

Hello schikani.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.

Sorry to hear you are also having an issue with your Pod.

So we can rule out the Pod is faulty.

Can you try this please.

Unplug the pod.

At the back of your hub look for a reset button.

Keep that pressed in for at least 20 seconds.

Once the hub has settled down, plug the pod back in as close as possible to the hub.

The pods light should settle down.

Then try the ethernet option again after moving the pod closer to where you need it to be.

Gareth_L