cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Pods - Ethernet Input for Backhaul

wheatleyroad
On our wavelength

Hi folks,

I'd like to use the Virgin Wifi Pods to extend my Wifi network. I have ethernet access to my Hub 3 router in the areas where I would like to extend the weak Wifi network using the Virgin Wifi Pods.

The problem is that the Virgin Wifi Pod cannot seem to utilise the wired ethernet connection to the Hub 3 and is relying on relaying the weak Wifi connection from the Hub 3. In other words, the pods do not seem to allow Ethernet Backhaul. The pods are rebranded Plume devices and the Plume website specifically recommends an ethernet connection to the pods, "Does Plume support Ethernet Backhaul? Absolutely. Plume supports Ethernet backhaul. This means you can set up multiple gateway pods by connecting them directly together via Ethernet to deliver the fastest possible performance to your devices."

Virgin seem to have disabled this feature and only support output from the Wifi Pod's ethernet port. Does anyone know why this is and can it be changed? It would be great if we could encourage Virgin to unlock this feature. 🤞

From reading on this forum, the Wifi Pod test group received pods with 2 ethernet ports that did offer Backhaul. However I have a single ethernet port pod as pictured below which would be so much more useful if Backhaul were enabled!

Virgin-Intelligent-WiFi-Pod-plug-1024x687

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Alex_RM and Adri_G ,

Thanks for both of your help thus far. We have success! 🎉

Cabling was all ok. Channel Optimisation is switched ‘on’ already. It was Step 6 of Adri_G's post which solved it in the end. I have 2 pods, and I swapped the pods over. The second pod automatically connected by ethernet backhaul after about 5 mins. I now have full speed in the garden office from the pod which is connected to my Hub 3 by Cat6 ethernet cable. Great to have it working and I'm pleased that we could get a firm answer and result on this topic; The single ethernet port VM rebranded Plume pods do support ethernet backhaul. 👌

In response to your question Adri, it is the single ethernet port device as pictured in my first post.

Alex_RM and Adri_G could you replace the faulty pod please? Happy to share my details in DM.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

jeremymorgan
Tuning in

I'd like to know this too.

Our house has a thick brick wall separating the two halves. I have run an Ethernet cable from the Superhub to the other side of the house (through the wall). I was hoping that VM would be able to supply a WiFi Pod that had Ethernet backhaul capability as I could have connected it directly to this Ethernet cable and it would be the most efficient way of getting WiFi in the other side of the house.

Over the last 3 weeks I have now been sent two of the single port WiFi pods (like the one you posted). Apparently these don't support Ethernet backhaul. On the second occasion I called them, VM support said they would supply a 2-port Pod, but alas only a single port one arrived.

After speaking to VM support again today, they are now saying that the two port pods that do support Ethernet backhaul are not longer available (or supplied).

I'm not sure what the truth is. The VM support agents don't really appear to know what I am talking about when I speak to them about the different Pod types.

Does anyone know?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
AIUI the ports dont work on Pods.

You could solve it though if you get one of these and connect it to the internet cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the pointer John. I understand that I could use an Access Point and in fact the Pod will be replacing an old Apple AP in that location. I was hoping to benefit from the Plume Pod's mesh networking and other more up to date features. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you qualify for "free" pods. If so they are worth a try - but there will be no backhaul and they are limited by VM's firmware modifications.  And with thick walls I suspect the signal will be very attenuated using them.  Something connected on the ethernet cable will be a quantum leap better than a pod.

Far better equipment is available for the monies VM charge to rent pods (£8/month).  The WAP I highlighted is a low cost solution.  Spend more for more features - WiFi6, 2.5GB ports, Backhaul, Mesh capabilties, etc.....

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

They are indeed the free VM Plume rebranded pods and I do not rent them, they are supplied under the VM Wifi guarantee. But you've hit the nail on the head saying,

@jbrennand wrote:

but there will be no backhaul and they are limited by VM's firmware modifications.

So I revert to my original question and what I would like this threads to focus 🔎 on, "Does anyone know why Ethernet Backhaul is disabled and can it be changed? It would be great if we could encourage Virgin to unlock this feature. 🤞"

@jeremymorgan wrote:

I'd like to know this too.

Our house has a thick brick wall separating the two halves. I have run an Ethernet cable from the Superhub to the other side of the house (through the wall). I was hoping that VM would be able to supply a WiFi Pod that had Ethernet backhaul capability as I could have connected it directly to this Ethernet cable and it would be the most efficient way of getting WiFi in the other side of the house.

Over the last 3 weeks I have now been sent two of the single port WiFi pods (like the one you posted). Apparently these don't support Ethernet backhaul. On the second occasion I called them, VM support said they would supply a 2-port Pod, but alas only a single port one arrived.

After speaking to VM support again today, they are now saying that the two port pods that do support Ethernet backhaul are not longer available (or supplied).

I'm not sure what the truth is. The VM support agents don't really appear to know what I am talking about when I speak to them about the different Pod types.

Does anyone know?

I'm in the same boat @jeremymorgan. I had read on another thread that VM Tech Support are able to unlock this feature for you remotely, will try and find the thread and link it here. I can't verify this myself, I imagine you'd have to get through to some pretty senior VM Tech Support to have someone able to do that for you. Be great to know if anyone has had this done? Or even better a response from VM saying they will unlock the Ethernet Backhaul feature! 💡

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See if the latest VM info has any info.

Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

--------------------
John
--------------------

No, nothing useful on any of the VM pages about WiFi Max or Pods etc, scoured these all already. Additionally VM support phone agents don't have any information on this subject, or at least the 2 I've spoken to didn't.

Hopefully someone that knows something firm about my particular questions will respond or VM will reply to this thread.🍀

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes they will get here and respond in a day or so.

--------------------
John
--------------------