VM Connect App on IOS has recorded excessive Hub3 latency

horseman
Alessandro Volta

Hub3: v10 hardware, NMS loaded software v9.1.2208.100

IOS; 16.2 on iPad Pro 4th gen and also 1st gen Pro

VMConnect: v12.32.7

Here’s a screen shot:

IMG_2063.PNG

Please advise what extra detail/process you require when performing further Factory Resets,Power Refreshes , and App re-installs?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
72 REPLIES 72

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

what we don't know is if it upstream or downstream with that latency test I'm guessing downstream 

Why yes their would be excessive latency given how the test works it floods the downstream with the hub rate limiting and buffer your connection.

It why VM should not be doing auto speed tests on hub in router mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

horseman
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:

what we don't know is if it upstream or downstream with that latency test I'm guessing downstream Why yes their would be excessive latency given how the test works it floods the downstream with the hub rate limiting and buffer your connection.It why VM should not be doing auto speed tests on hub in router mode.

Whilst seeking to keep an open mind and thus still appreciating any post unaccompanied by any evidential data the use of “we” and “guessed” does’nt add any credibility……. IMHO….

Since “my” continued results of latency exceeds 10s (and jitter >200ms) are “apparently” using “SamKnows” servers for Hub3 yet also WiFi but unsupported (yet) by any other non VM. Connect diagnostic then obvious “comment/query” will also include:

1. Is this a SK ISSUE?

2. Or a VM “overlay” on specific Hub?

3. Does a v11 Hub3/different NMS soft/firmware/or Hub4-5 experience similar Excess latency/jitter?

Upgrade to IOS 16.3 still results in same excess….. AND ….

AFTER 7 ELAPSED,5 WORKING DAYS READERS WILL NOTE THAT VM FT HAVE NOT YET REPLIED

Enquiring minds would still appreciate the courtesy of official VM acknowledgement of symptom even if potential answer or escalation exceeds FT diagnostic expertise and/or authorisation!

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @horseman and welcome back to our Forums.

Sorry to hear of the latency issues that have been flagged on the Connect Application.

Can you please confirm if you experience latency on just this one device or multiple?

Having ran a flow on your hub, no issues appeared to be present.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"AFTER 7 ELAPSED,5 WORKING DAYS READERS WILL NOTE THAT VM FT HAVE NOT YET REPLIED! "

It takes a long time to ‘draw the short straw’ to find out who is going to concoct a reply for you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I expect a Samknows Realspeed test would show all is fine for this service.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once again this is the defective VM Connect App report where the Hub latency and jitter figures are 1000x too large.
Note the WiFi  latency and jitter are fine.

@Client62 wrote:

I expect a Samknows Realspeed test would show all is fine for this service.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once again this is the defective VM Connect App report where the Hub latency and jitter figures are 1000x too large.
Note the WiFi  latency and jitter are fine.

Assuming, of course that we trust the results of the Samknows tests as run on the hub as being reliable! Although I have little doubts as to the underlaying methodology, what we can't tell is how well the testing agents have been implemented in the VM hub's firmware - and, I think, we can all agree, the quality of the firmware on the hubs is; well; not exactly top-notch!

So when we see reports of a Samknows test showing 1150 Mb/s to the hub but 300 to the device, do we have to simply take it on trust that the speed being delivered to the hub is OK and being properly measured, so from VM's perspective, they are quite right to say 'not our problem guv'? For what it is worth, I am really, really sceptical of the Samknows Realspeed reports via the VM hubs, so every time I see posts on here from customers reporting the Samknows results and being told, 'well the speed to your hub is OK (really, is it?), so the problem must be with your own equipment', I always think, 'but how do you know that, you are just taking it on face value'? Especially when said customer says they have run various alternative speed tests and got substantially slower but consistent results.

I will agree that the Connect App is almost entirely useless and not worth the storage it uses on a device. If we look at Tony's (horseman's) original post, there is apparently a latency of 12 seconds on the hub but much, much lower on WiFi! Which makes little sense.

Now, could it be, as you suggest, that the Connect App is simply fundamentally broken and just not reporting anything of any use to man nor beast, or alternatively maybe it is right and the WiFi 'latency' is between the device and the hub itself (and even in that case it is a truly pathetic value). We simply don't know exactly what it is measuring and displaying and how it is deriving those values. On those grounds we have to take every single thing reported as being highly suspect!

The VM Connect App stats look decent if we read them as :

Hub latency 11.911ms WiFi latency 16ms

Hub jitter 0.229ms WiFi jitter 2ms

@Client62 wrote:

Absolutely true, if you read it that way (and you are quite probably right), but what does that mean? There is a coding error in the application, which, of course begs the question, what other 'issues' might there be with it? 

I'm reminded of the web interface on the Hub 4 which insists as reporting S/N ratios to five places of decimal plus quite a few of the channels would report an identical value to the same five decimal places - which is obviously rubbish. So again we have to question the reliably of what we are given, now I suppose from VM's perspective, the vast, vast majority of users never, ever look at the hub stats so it probably isn't seen as a big issue.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

@Client62 wrote:

Absolutely true, if you read it that way (and you are quite probably right), but what does that mean? There is a coding error in the application, which, of course begs the question, what other 'issues' might there be with it? 

I'm reminded of the web interface on the Hub 4 which insists as reporting S/N ratios to five places of decimal plus quite a few of the channels would report an identical value to the same five decimal places - which is obviously rubbish. So again we have to question the reliably of what we are given, now I suppose from VM's perspective, the vast, vast majority of users never, ever look at the hub stats so it probably isn't seen as a big issue.

.. and note that the VM bod hasn't addressed the Connect App issue.   They can surely do better than that?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)