cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PODS keep dropping connection

Jt_Wifi_Woes
Tuning in

I have a hub 5 (factory settings, long press reboot several times over the last year) and 3 white pods. Once or twice a months 1 or all of the pods would just stop connecting, more often than not all of them, just doing the slow blink. 
1-2 days of resetting things and turning them back on in various orders it’d start working again until it stopped and same thing again. Someone came out to look at it, no luck, one of the pods was replaced and that helped for a couple of weeks then didn’t. 
Seems to be a little more reliable with just 2 pods rather than 3 but still not great.

Doesn’t help the hub enters the house in the corner furtherst from where we spend most of our time.

Sometimes just flicking the hub off and back on is enough to send the whole lot into a spin for days. Any advice/help much appreciated. 

20 REPLIES 20

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to double check... are your issues only evident on wifi/Pod connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected directly on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on one to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?
What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

Re the pods...

See if anything in message 5 in this thread helps to connect Pods…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-boosters-needed/m-p/5122436#M497217

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to add to John's excellent advice, 

If the pods are losing contact with the Hub, they may be too far away from it. The proper location for a pod is half way between the Hub and the room with poor signal. If you put the Pod in the same room, it can only receive the same poor signal. 

Also, if the Hub would be better located in the room where you most use the WiFi you can book a technician to move it for a fixed price of £25.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Client62
Legend

I avoid using the RESET button on the VM Hub, it often causes the Hub to revert to a very old version of the firmware and in the case of the Hub 5 that would bring back significant defects with Wi-Fi & DHCP & reliability.

Thanks, Ethernet works fine when the pods don’t, hub 5 and solid white hub light throughout (so fine I think?), and I did see that thread thanks. Still unhappy intermittently although back working today after 2 days not working. 

Pods are all -50-60 dBm from nearest hub/pod. Worst is ~62, 5Ghz, that too far?

didn't know I could ask for the hub to be moved! How do you do that? 

Helpful, thanks. Is that the general consensus? 

Client62
Legend

Have you considered abandoning the VM Pods and investing in a decent Wi-Fi Mesh or some Wireless Access Points ?

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode plus a pair of Wireless Access Points this provides very solid Wi-Fi coverage for a dozen rooms on two levels. But most important, it is our kit and fully under our control.

Fair point, was hoping to save myself hundreds of pounds 😔

what mesh did you go for?

You can have the Hub moved by phoning the usual CS number or waiting for staff to pick this up. Cost £25.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.