Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Making Waves
dave85

wireless not working but ok with Ethernet.

hi, my internet works fine when the Ethernet cable is plugged in. it says that my wireless is connected and has a good signal but when i take the Ethernet out, i cant get onto the net (but it still says im connected wirelessly). ive looked though this forum and tryed a few things but still not working, now my wireless says its validating identity? i have windows xp and a netgear wireless n vmdg280 router. ive tryed turning off and on, resetting route back to factory settings, changing the wireless channel, but still nothing. i also disabled my firewall to see if that was stopping it but still no. i have a ps3 connected wirelessly and it works fine so i think its to do with the settings on my laptop.  please help as this has been the case since ive have VM for the last few months and i really need my wireless to work on my laptop.

also, was i supposed to get a cd with with router manager software on it when i got the router? when the guy came round, he wired it all up and said it should just work but after reading a far few posts on here it seams i am missing this cd, could this be the problem?

thanks, dave

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dave85

Re: wireless not working but ok with Ethernet.

just a little up date,i have fixed the validating identity problem. now im back to the original problem of the internet working with the ethernet but not a tall with the wireless. how do i know i have reset the router correctly? i pushed a pen into the hole but there is no indication that it did anything.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hello Dave,

You need to push a sharp object into the Reset button for about 10 seconds or until the lights on the hub change and this will reset it back to factory settings. Please advise of the make/model of the wireless adapter installed in your PC/laptop?

Regards,

Ray Miranda

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dave85

[ Edited ]

ye, ive tried resetting it again and im sure ive done it correctly but still not working. im using a dell wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card in my laptop. ive searched for an update but it says its up to date already. also under network adapters, it also lists a Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated controller, im unsure what this is but its also upto date.

ok, just notice that the Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated controller is to do with the Ethernet. and the dell wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card is to do with the wireless. im just learning this as i go.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dave85

i seem to be just talking to myself here. i was under the impression this was a help forum. i have looked at a few more posts and there seems to be a lot of trouble with this netgate vmdg280 router. can someone check my connection and advise me on this router situation.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

Hi Dave

Sorry we have not responded sooner. The reason for this is that the order in which we reply to posts is based on the date/time of the last post within the thread. Each subsequent post within this thread essentially put the thread to the back of the queue. Therefore 'bumping' posts generally has the opposite effect to that intended.

Can you please advise whether, with the Ethernet cable disconnected, you get an IP address from the router on the PC? As you say, the fact that your PS3 can get online via the wireless network suggests that the issue lies on the laptop rather than with the Hub. Can you please log into the hub's configuration pages and reset the password? Ensure that the new password is reflected on the settings on the laptop and the PS3 and let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

David Owen
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.