Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
huntermrh

Unable to join the network virginmedia......

i have recently signed up to the VM 20MB service (Last 3 weeks). Whilst so far i am please with the speed i am having real problems connecting to the wireless service. The hardware is a Netgear VMDG280.

Whilst service during the day is fine when we hit around 1800 the wifi drops out and i am faced with the message unable to join the network virginmedia1586722. The service is there and presents a strong signal.

I was trying with ipad, iphone and itouches and finally resorted to my son's windows 7 laptop.  None were abe to connect.

i have tried connecting to the router using the http://192.168.1.1 connection but neither username admin nor virgin was able to connect.

If i plug in via ethernet cable then all is ok.

All vey frustrating for a new joiner.

Why not offer tech support for free for the first month to ensure a happy customer?!

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Re: Unable to join the network virginmedia......

Hello

Tech support is free here or if you have a VM phone line on 150.

You can gain access to the routers/media hubs configuration page by looking at the sticker on the hub it will tell you username and password.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
SouthWaleschris

huntermrh wrote:

i have recently signed up to the VM 20MB service (Last 3 weeks). Whilst so far i am please with the speed i am having real problems connecting to the wireless service. The hardware is a Netgear VMDG280.

Whilst service during the day is fine when we hit around 1800 the wifi drops out and i am faced with the message unable to join the network virginmedia1586722. The service is there and presents a strong signal.

I was trying with ipad, iphone and itouches and finally resorted to my son's windows 7 laptop.  None were abe to connect.

i have tried connecting to the router using the http://192.168.1.1 connection but neither username admin nor virgin was able to connect.

If i plug in via ethernet cable then all is ok.

All vey frustrating for a new joiner.

Why not offer tech support for free for the first month to ensure a happy customer?!

sounds to me as if something in ur area interfears with the connection around that time, im wondering of someone nearby has a network which has same channel as urs and that causing interfearance.

download a program called inssider from here....

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

u can scan what wireless networks are in ur area and what channels they r using.  If one is using same channel as u change urs to one thats not in use and see if it helps.

Where ever you maybe.... Let your wind go free!

"So in retrospect the best cable to get is cat5e"
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
huntermrh

I have managed to get into the router and have changed the channel a couple of times to no avail.

I also tried taking off the security - same message.

I also tried to set up a guest network - same message.

Is it possible that I have a wifi lemon that needs replacing?

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
James_G

Hi huntermrh,

For your wireless connection to go off at around the same time every night then it would indicate some thing is interfering with the signal.

Could you confirm if you have tried all the channels available on you router?

When the issue occurs can you see a network name that isn't there during the day?

Regards,

James Gilbert

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
tony_ttt

Thanks for your help.  The downloaded program inSSIDer did not work (error - WLAN autoconfig appears to be stopped), but I tried some random channels and one of these (12) now works.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

Hi tony_ttt,

Thanks for the update. Please let us know should you encounter any further problems.

David Owen
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
bagpuss21

Hi all, got my daughter an apple ipod touch an it keeps saying it cant connect to my virgin media connection...then the odd time it does connect i cant get anything to load or it takes forever...help..x
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
bagpuss21

and.....if i do get on its for 20 secs then i get kikced off again...:smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
PatrickF

Hi bagpuss21,

I have sent you a Private Message. We'll be happy to progress things for you once we have received your reply.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Please use plain text.