Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
jaycr

How to connect new router to superhub in modem mode?

Hi, non techie here. Is it fairly straight forward to connect a new cable router to the superhub? I assume you put the superhub into modem mode. Is it then just a case of connecting the router to the hub by ethernet cable? If so, does it have to be a specific port or can any be used? Sorry if these questions are basic but any advice would be appreciated. Also I assume it's important for the router to be placed in the open etc. but is it also necessary for the modem or can that be hidden away under a desk? Many thanks for any advice. Jim
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
greyhairbadger

Re: How to connect new router to superhub in modem mode?

Hi,

It's very easy.

1. Put the Superhub into modem only mode.

2. Use an ethernet cable to connect the WAN port of your new cable router, to LAN port one of the Superhub. (The WAN port on your router may be labelled 'WAN' or 'Internet' or 'Cable' or something else. If you are in any doubt, consult its manual, or post the make and model of your router here, and we will tell you which port to use. LAN port one on the Superhub is the ethernet port closest to the coaxial cable connection.)

More detailed instructions here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=EABF7CC5-2B37-47B6-AF08-A33A9F291FA1

3. Follow the setup procedure for your new router. It may be necessary to reboot the Superhub.

There is no reason why both the Superhub and the new Router cannot be hidden away. The only issue you may have is with wireless, as obstructions between the new router and the target computers can impair wireless connectivity. However, there is nothing to stop you experimenting. Also be aware that both the Superhub and the new router are likely to generate a little bit of heat, so take care to ensure they have adequate ventilation. Don't wrap them in a thermal blanket and stuff them into the oven or anything.

Phil.

Phil.

I don't work for Virgin Media. Any advice I offer is correct to the best of my knowledge, but is taken at your own risk.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jaycr

Thanks Phil, much appreciated. Just one other thing ... The existing Ethernet cable from the hub to the PC ... does that stay or do I replace it with a cable from the router to new router to the PC instead? Many thanks again Phil. Rgds, Jim
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
greyhairbadger

Nope, in this configuration, the Superhub can only provide one wired connection (and no wireless connections.) The only connection to the Superhub should be Superhub to new router.

Attach your computer(s) and other devices directly to the new router, either wired or wirelessly.

Phil. 

Phil.

I don't work for Virgin Media. Any advice I offer is correct to the best of my knowledge, but is taken at your own risk.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jaycr

Brilliant. Many thanks again Phil. Rgds, Jim
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Mark_Wilco

Hi jaycr

Good to see you get sorted there, thanks for the help phil.

Mark_Wilco
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.
Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
cbillups

Hi, I have a Netgear router DGND3300v2 and can't work out what is the WAN port - can you help? thanks
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
greyhairbadger

Hi,

the Netgear DGND3300 is an ADSL router. It does not have an accessible WAN port as such. It's WAN port is occupied by a built-in ADSL modem, and the router provides an external port to attach this ADSL modem to the telephone socket.

If you wish to use a third party router with the Superhub in modem mode then you need one marked as compatible with cable Internet connections. Loads of examples here from one particular vendor:

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Networking/cat/Wireless/subcat/Routers---Cable

Phil.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
cbillups

Hi, OK thanks. I read that running an SSID scan may help select a channel with less activity, hence aid wireless strength. I downloaded inSSIDer but don't know how to work it - any ideas? cheers
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
greyhairbadger

Inssider has to be executed on a Windows PC equipped with a wireless network card. Apologies for stating the obvious, but just to make sure!

When the program window opens you should see two rectangular boxes. The upper box will contain a list of all detected wireless access points.

Click on '2.4Ghz' to cause the lower box to display a graphical representation of the wireless environment. The various channels (frequencies) are represented on the 'x' axis, and signal 'strength' is represented by the 'y' axis. Without going into too much detail, you should choose a wireless channel (stick to 1,6 or 11) that is least occupied by the coloured curves that represent each wireless access point.

Phil.

Please use plain text.