Menu
Saintelaine
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wrong regional news for East Midlands

The year is 2015, the area is South Leicestershire. I've just joined Virgin but why is it that the only regional channels I can receive are Anglia and Meridien, both of which are over 100 miles away but I am unable to receive my local Leicester channel 15 miles away.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wrong regional news for East Midlands

Nothing you can do about it. It wont surprise you that the government body that oversaw the original cable build in the 90's is to blame. Your network area build is downstream of a "Headend", where all the channels are fed in. In some areas these networks cross region boundaries, so people in these areas effectively end up seeing the wrong region. All the subscribers on that Headend get the same channels on the same numbers, so all your neigbours with Virgin are in the same boat. My guess is you are somewhere like Market Harborough, which is on the Northampton network build.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nothing you can do about it. It wont surprise you that the government body that oversaw the original cable build in the 90's is to blame. Your network area build is downstream of a "Headend", where all the channels are fed in. In some areas these networks cross region boundaries, so people in these areas effectively end up seeing the wrong region. All the subscribers on that Headend get the same channels on the same numbers, so all your neigbours with Virgin are in the same boat. My guess is you are somewhere like Market Harborough, which is on the Northampton network build.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Saintelaine
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This being the case, why are Virgin pushing the area and not informing potential customers of this issue. I've only been with Virgin for a week but I've already spent hours on the phone and told "that's just the way it is". Virgin's customer service is pretty poor, why make customers even more angry over something they could invest in and bring into the tech world. Looks like it's going to be back to Sky for me 😡

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

With all TV's having built in Freeview tuners that you can simply plug an aerial into to get another region (thereby having a choice) most people dont seem to be bothered about the issue. Also with the modern iPlayer services, you can watch any of the regional news programmes within an hour or so of them being broadcast from anywhere in the country.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos