Menu
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Why was BBC4 not on air on virgin until 8pm on 24/12?

As I say, all there was was was a screen saying "this channel is not on air just now". Not funny, recording an hour of that. It burst into life just before 8pm.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jetpacker
Tuning in
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why was BBC4 not on air on virgin until 8pm on 24/12?

When I switched on last night to find it happening again, on both SD and HD channels, I checked with my brother who lives just up the road from me but his were working okay. So I phoned Virgin and, after 5 minutes navigating the menus, I eventually got through to a guy who remotely inspected my setup and told me that I was getting a weak signal, which he said he was correcting. After my Tivo box rebooted, both the BBC4 channels were there and I was told that I would have no further problems.

Just checked today and they came on at 19:00.

All Replies
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Shugg, 

I am sorry to hear this, and to be honest, I don't have an answer for this. I have not read any other issues that have noted this fault. When 8pm came on did it appear as the channel was only then starting or was it in mid flow?

Thanks and apologies again

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've seen several posts regarding recordings from BBC3/4 only recording the "not available" banner well into the evenings programming. This appears to be a TiVO issue, as the V+ does not appear to problems.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/This-channel-is-not-broadcasting-now/td-p/2559156

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi nodrogd, 

Thanks for that, that post was the next on the list to be picked up. Am going to do some digging around on this for you guys and get back as soon as possible. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I had two recordings. One at 7pm for 45mins and that had the Channel Not On Air for the whole recording. The second recording started 759pm and had 1 minute of the same caption and then the channel burst into life showing the end credits of the programme that should have been on. This was all on the HD channel, so maybe the SD one was ok.
0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why was BBC4 not on air on virgin until 8pm on 24/12 & 9pm on 31/1?

Hello, any progress on this?, as it has happened again.  I set my box to record BBC4HD from 9pm on 31/1, my recordings have a 1 min buffer at the start and for that 1 min, the screen shows, "Sorry, this channel is not on air etc etc".  Fortunately, it did come on for the time I needed it, but, again, why was it off before that?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shugg, 

Thanks for coming back Smiley Happy

I've just had a chat with Huw now and he has advised this has been raised as a fault with our TiVo® team. 

They are investigating the fault and hopefully we will see a resolve soon. 

You can bump this thread in a few days for an update and we'll look into it for you! 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SBonsor
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have also had the same issue with BBC4 not being available when I have set a program to record. I have recorded from the non HD channel. It happened last week and this week.
0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Well, you asked me to, so bump.
0 Kudos
jetpacker
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I see nothing new here since the 10th of Feb, but this is still happening to me. I have been recording 'Great Continental Railway Journeys' at 19:30 on BBC4 and have lost several episodes, although sometimes they were recorded okay. But this week, on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday, all I got was the VM slate "This channel is not on air". Each time, the picture came through at the end of the recording, at 20:00.

I once had this problem with an old Freeview box, back in 2006, when the BBC Engineering Dept told me it was a fault in the receiving box. I am astonished that it is still happening in 2015 and even more so that it is taking so long to get fixed.

0 Kudos